Repeating 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpplease99999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I found out last week that I have to repeat my second year of school. Obviously, it's extremely tough news to take and I've been down for the last week. I didn't have any outstanding problems during the year, other than some anxiety issues (but what med student doesn't have that?), and my only excuse is that I was just overwhelmed with the vast amount of material.

So having said that, has anyone here repeated a year and managed to match? I have no grand ambitions, but would like to do IM. Basically, if anyone has any encouragement or know of someone else that has gone through this, I could use it. I feel bad enough already, so please no negative comments.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're at a USMD school and want IM, of course you'll match.

Think of next year as a way to strengthen your fundamentals. You'll be better for it.

yeah, US allo state school here. Also, if anyone would prefer to PM me rather than share on here, please feel free to do that as well.

Thanks in advance to everyone. It's been a rough few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine. You'll have to explain it but if you're aiming for the less competitive specialties and don't expect to match IM at Hopkins, you'll be ok. Work hard and apply widely.

You aren't alone. You won't be the first to match after something like this, and you wont be the last.

Yeah, don't sweat it. Just remember that you're on a short leash now. You can't mess up in the future. So hunker down and study as best you can as you repeat 2nd year. I thought 3rd year was much easier, so it hopefully won't be a big issue for you. As far as matching, if you're going for a relatively non-competitive specialty like IM or Peds, I think you should be just fine, especially coming out of a US Allo school.

Thanks everyone; I can't tell you how tough it was to get that email. Again, if anyone would feel more comfortable PMing me, I'd appreciate it.

I know students who have repeated a year and matched. The second time around should be a lot easier. Aim to learn from your mistakes so that you don't repeat them.