Repeating practice problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MackandBlues

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Sn2ed recommends not repeating practice problems, but has anyone following the schedule done so?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. I only repeat ones that I got wrong but even then it is not as effective because I remember the right answer and why it is right. This gives me a false sense of security and focuses more on memorization than conceptual learning.

I can go back to a question after 1,000 and still remember it word for word. Too bad my memory sucks when it comes to lectures ;)

Many people are completely the opposite and are able to go through practice MCATs, Q-banks, etc multiple times and benefit from it. I would suggest trying a few out, give yourself at least a week or two in between the last time you reviewed that question and when you attempt it again. If you find yourself reading ahead without even seeing the words, you may be like me and need to find additional sources. Otherwise, go for it.

I agree. I only repeat ones that I got wrong but even then it is not as effective because I remember the right answer and why it is right. This gives me a false sense of security and focuses more on memorization than conceptual learning.

I can go back to a question after 1,000 and still remember it word for word. Too bad my memory sucks when it comes to lectures ;)

Many people are completely the opposite and are able to go through practice MCATs, Q-banks, etc multiple times and benefit from it. I would suggest trying a few out, give yourself at least a week or two in between the last time you reviewed that question and when you attempt it again. If you find yourself reading ahead without even seeing the words, you may be like me and need to find additional sources. Otherwise, go for it.

Agree. The problem with repeats for me is either I already know the answer is "c" without really even reading the answer choices, which is of no value, or I still have no clue what the answer is the second time through, which is demoralizing. You only get so far relying on pattern recognition. So if you can find a different question bank, it's never a bad idea.

the key of repeating questions is not repeat the multiple choices.
it's when you read the question, you write the answer out like a fill in question.
Then you look at the choices, and write out why each of the choices is correct, or incorrect.