Shawnpremed

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If you receive a secondary from a school that asks you to elaborate on say, a volunteer experience, already described on your primary, will an inevitable overlap of primary content on your secondary be ok?

Thanks!

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yep, that's fine. I'd switch up the verbiage, but if they ask the question, give them the answer, even if you already have. Don't reference your other essays, however. Act like they don't exist.

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Yep, that's fine. I'd switch up the verbiage, but if they ask the question, give them the answer, even if you already have. Don't reference your other essays, however. Act like they don't exist.
whoops. in one secondary, i said "in my PS i mentioned that blah blah inspired me to blah blah, but this other thing has had almost as much impact on my decision to blah blah." le sigh.

reisub

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
Status
The problem with referencing other essays is it's like saying, "I already told you..." If the reader is in a bad mood, you might come off as a jerk.

FutureScaresMe

UCSF '14
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
San Francisco
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think there's anything wrong with referencing your PS. Sometimes it's awkward writing about an event or situation in your secondary that requires more elaboration which may be present in your PS. Rather than assuming the reader has already read the PS, it would be appropriate to just reference the PS for further elaboration. The reader will likely read both, but who knows if they read the PS or secondary first. I believe it's better to reference your PS rather than wasting space, sacrificing flow, or assuming a reader's knowledge of your PS.