Quantcast

Repeating PS content on Secondaries..

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shawnpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you receive a secondary from a school that asks you to elaborate on say, a volunteer experience, already described on your primary, will an inevitable overlap of primary content on your secondary be ok?

Thanks!

MilkmanAl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's fine. I'd switch up the verbiage, but if they ask the question, give them the answer, even if you already have. Don't reference your other essays, however. Act like they don't exist.

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's fine. I'd switch up the verbiage, but if they ask the question, give them the answer, even if you already have. Don't reference your other essays, however. Act like they don't exist.

whoops. in one secondary, i said "in my PS i mentioned that blah blah inspired me to blah blah, but this other thing has had almost as much impact on my decision to blah blah." le sigh.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to set them separate.

reisub

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The problem with referencing other essays is it's like saying, "I already told you..." If the reader is in a bad mood, you might come off as a jerk.

FutureScaresMe

UCSF '14
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with referencing your PS. Sometimes it's awkward writing about an event or situation in your secondary that requires more elaboration which may be present in your PS. Rather than assuming the reader has already read the PS, it would be appropriate to just reference the PS for further elaboration. The reader will likely read both, but who knows if they read the PS or secondary first. I believe it's better to reference your PS rather than wasting space, sacrificing flow, or assuming a reader's knowledge of your PS.