Repeating Semester- Residency Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splashcityd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend one of the Big 3 schools in the Caribbean. I had a couple of unfortunate events occur right before finals week (personal stuff) and I ended up tanking my grade and failing the semester. At my school, I have to repeat the whole semester for this. How bad does a repeat look on my residency application, assuming I do well from here on out (IE no red flags, good step score)?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you talk about it on your personal statement you should be ok. And kick serious usmle ass.

Go from the angle of how it's going to help the program that you've been through this. Examples of how you've dealt with **** after that that didn't tank you and how that'll be an advantage you will have when entering residency. Etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
While not as big of a deal as a step failure, a semester failure at a Caribbean school is in fact a big deal. I strongly disagree that talking about it in your personal statement will mitigate the damage. I do agree that, if you choose to continue, the most important thing going forward is doing very very well on Step 1 and 2.

The problem with the "I had some family stuff before finals" excuse is that family stuff comes up during residency too. And during residency it's not grades that suffer, it's quite literally the life and death of your patients. Talking about how you overcame this obstacle is great but it doesn't change the fact that you couldn't handle your business, and PDs will see this. Going to a caribbean school already shows that you couldn't handle your premed business, and now you have shown that you can't handle your med school business either.

I wish you all the best, but I think you should strongly reconsider continuing. You are still early on and have not yet accumulated much debt. I don't have a crystal ball, so it's very possible that if you continue you will match and this will just be a blip on the radar. Just know that your margin for error going forward is basically nonexistent, and the people that have trouble matching out of the Caribbean are those with major red flags (semester failure, step failure, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
I personally know a person that repeated a semester and went on to match so it is definitely possible. However I know a lot more people that repeated a semester and didn't match. As the above posters have written, getting great USMLE scores and strong LORs are the biggest things that will give you a fighting chance. I wish you the best of luck

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them. I'll continue to reflect on it and do what's best for me.