Repeating undergrad classes in Post-bac

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by chasseurducam, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. chasseurducam

chasseurducam 2+ Year Member

I have just completed a post-bac and am now applying to medical schools. I am an older post-bac who had taken some of the requirements during undergrad but needed to go back to finish the rest. My post-bac advisor told me that I needed to repeat physics during my post-bac because it had been 5 years since I had taken it. I hadn't done bad in the series during college (physics 1 was an A and physics 2 was a B) but she wanted me to be refreshed for the MCAT. Will adcoms view the fact that I repeated physics negatively? Or is it OK since it had been so long since I had taken it?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. The Helpful Aye Aye

The Helpful Aye Aye I'm not so grump 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you're paying per credit, put that money into an MCAT course. Taking "physics" (which I'm assuming means "physics without calculus") will obviously help you with the physical sciences portion of your MCAT, but the opportunity cost is high considering that you'll be studying for the MCAT anyway. Imagine if you did poorly in a physics class because you were studying for the MCAT, which has physics in it. A high PS score will reflect that you do, in fact, know the physics necessary for medical school.

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't take any more advice from this premed adviser without getting a 2nd opinion. There's no way 5 years makes physics too old. As long as you can get back on top of the material for the MCAT, you should absolutely not retake it.

The schools that get uppity about prereq expiration tend to say 6+ years, and there are very few known schools that care. UMass, Miami. Every year in the nontrad forum, somebody attempts to build a list of schools that expire prereqs and it always peters out without good info. Point being, apply to a lot of schools and do your homework on each school.

I took physics in 1988 and started med school in 2012. MCAT PS score was 10. Nobody ever cared.

Best of luck to you.

5. chasseurducam

chasseurducam 2+ Year Member

Sorry, I didn't phrase my post correctly. I have already repeated the physics classes in my postbac (got A's in both) and have already taken the MCAT (received a Physics score of 10). I was just wondering if having taken physics twice will hurt me in the adcoms eyes?

6. The Helpful Aye Aye

The Helpful Aye Aye I'm not so grump 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    No.

DrMidlife likes this.

About the ads