reporting abusive program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blessfulmd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How Do I go about reporting an abusive program ? Can someone report the the program who is not a resident there?

my boyfriend started a IM residency program and they work over 88 hours ( more like 110 hours) limit per week and the attending even call them on their " days off" to come in . he is working from 4 am to 10 pm every night and he still hast to finish notes till 1 am . repeat everyday. He won't report it since he is on a visa and scared that would ruin his position.

Members don't see this ad.

How Do I go about reporting an abusive program ? Can someone report the the program who is not a resident there?

my boyfriend started a IM residency program and they work over 88 hours ( more like 110 hours) limit per week and the attending even call them on their " days off" to come in . he is working from 4 am to 10 pm every night and he still hast to finish notes till 1 am . repeat everyday. He won't report it since he is on a visa and scared that would ruin his position.

It would, so can a program being shut down.
Not saying you shouldn’t reporting it, but there are other consequences. What if they come by, none of the residents say it happens.

All sorts of risk from reporting but to answer the question your boyfriend would need to report it since they would want evidence (orders placed outside of work hours, notes files, proof attendings had called on days of):

1-hospital GME
2-State medical board (only state I know for sure that regulates this is NY)
3-ACGME (if allopath accredited program); this is the primary accrediting body that can shut the program down and the only thing that can force the hospital to change its ways

Members don't see this ad :)
my boyfriend started a IM residency program and they work over 88 hours ( more like 110 hours) limit per week

Does your boyfriend agree? Don't be a crazy girlfriend. Make sure he agrees that there's a violation and that he wants it reported. There's no such thing as anonymous report, it will definitely come back to him, even if you're the one reporting it.

This is what you're looking for, but as above realize nothing is every truly anonymous (and if you send it from a fake email address and don't follow up to try to keep it anonymous then it'll never make it past the ACGME garbage can). As above, make sure your boyfriend is on board with this as once you ring this bell it can not be un-rung.

This is what you're looking for, but as above realize nothing is every truly anonymous (and if you send it from a fake email address and don't follow up to try to keep it anonymous then it'll never make it past the ACGME garbage can). As above, make sure your boyfriend is on board with this as once you ring this bell it can not be un-rung.

if you go through it and have evidence and if the program gives you sh$t (Aka firing) lawyer up and sue their asses for all they got. Slave drivers.

if you go through it and have evidence and if the program gives you sh$t (Aka firing) lawyer up and sue their asses for all they got. Slave drivers.

Yeah, b/c that's fun, especially if you're an IMG who landed his/her golden ticket in securing an American residency spot (there's a reason why people like to train here. Our programs, even the crappiest of them, provide much better training than the rest of the world).

OP tread cautiously. If there's an outright, continuous violation, then perhaps look into reporting it. Otherwise let it go.

Yeah, b/c that's fun, especially if you're an IMG who landed his/her golden ticket in securing an American residency spot (there's a reason why people like to train here. Our programs, even the crappiest of them, provide much better training than the rest of the world).

OP tread cautiously. If there's an outright, continuous violation, then perhaps look into reporting it. Otherwise let it go.

It probably wouldn't turn out well because medical training is so completely rigged against the trainees and so much is against you until you complete residency, more so when you are a visa slave.

Reactions: 2 users

The 80 hour work week is not every week...it’s an average over 4 weeks time...
And he is an intern...he probably hasn’t figured out how to be more efficient at getting his work done...that will come in time...if he is still staying til 10 and bring notes home by December, then he need to learn to be more efficient...he should talk to his seniors about what he can do to be more efficient.
And is he on back up or jeopardy when he is being called to come in? Those aren’t necessarily days off.
And as others have said...make sure the bf is on board with filing a complaint for things that may not be considered abuse...because now he will have mark on him...and they can always hurt you more...

The 80 hour work week is not every week...it’s an average over 4 weeks time...
And he is an intern...he probably hasn’t figured out how to be more efficient at getting his work done...that will come in time...if he is still staying til 10 and bring notes home by December, then he need to learn to be more efficient...he should talk to his seniors about what he can do to be more efficient.
And is he on back up or jeopardy when he is being called to come in? Those aren’t necessarily days off.
And as others have said...make sure the bf is on board with filing a complaint for things that may not be considered abuse...because now he will have mark on him...and they can always hurt you more...
According to ACGME, a resident needs one day off every 7 days . That is what I meant by day off.

According to ACGME, a resident needs one day off every 7 days . That is what I meant by day off.
That is on an inpatient service... and is also averaged over 4 weeks... most places generally do give one day off a week, but not necessarily an ACGME violation if you work more than 7 days in a row so long as there are a total of 4 days off a month.

Most electives have the weekend off so the 1 in 7 doesn’t come into play. Many places, the people on electives are also back up... but generally don’t exceed the 1 in 7 .

The place he is violating is the 10 hours between shifts... if he is leaving at 10p and coming back on at 4a, that’s only 6 hours... but are they making him stay? Or is he not getting his work done by the time night float comes on? That could backfire if he is staying in his own accord...or they could say he isn’t keeping up with his co residents if he is the only one staying so late.

That is on an inpatient service... and is also averaged over 4 weeks... most places generally do give one day off a week, but not necessarily an ACGME violation if you work more than 7 days in a row so long as there are a total of 4 days off a month.

Most electives have the weekend off so the 1 in 7 doesn’t come into play. Many places, the people on electives are also back up... but generally don’t exceed the 1 in 7 .

The place he is violating is the 10 hours between shifts... if he is leaving at 10p and coming back on at 4a, that’s only 6 hours... but are they making him stay? Or is he not getting his work done by the time night float comes on? That could backfire if he is staying in his own accord...or they could say he isn’t keeping up with his co residents if he is the only one staying so late.

no everybody stays. it is not just him. he is part of the covid team so they are short handed . everybody else pretty much getting burned out. I didn't know that a resident could take 4 days off in the whole month no matter when the "day off" lands in the month . yes they are making him stay as well as others. actually he suppose to do covid for 2 weeks . they assigned extra week because of scheduling problems. so they made him cover for the 2 residents who couldn't come this week against his will. anyways i got my answer. thank you and thanks everybody for your guidance. I hope one day we can change residency burn out culture in America and around the world at least for patient's sake.

no everybody stays. it is not just him. he is part of the covid team so they are short handed . everybody else pretty much getting burned out. I didn't know that a resident could take 4 days off in the whole month no matter when the "day off" lands in the month . yes they are making him stay as well as others. actually he suppose to do covid for 2 weeks . they assigned extra week because of scheduling problems. so they made him cover for the 2 residents who couldn't come this week against his will. anyways i got my answer. thank you and thanks everybody for your guidance. I hope one day we can change residency burn out culture in America and around the world at least for patient's sake.
Given this response here you don’t know enough about the rules to be deciding which things are violations. Your boyfriend is an adult, let them handle this and stay out of it

Reactions: 1 users
Covid is different and rules are a bit suspended for covid teams...

It will generally balance out...when I worked covid surge earlier this year, the residents worked 5 days on and 5 percent off the covid team...but it’s going to vary depending on volume of patients and number of residents available...heck I had psych interns redeployed for more IM months because of surge...we all have to do our part.

Reactions: 1 user

Your BF should be highly encouraged to report the violation. He's going to be at the program for 3 years so it's better if any issues can be improved or solved sooner than later. There are a lot of malignant IM residency programs out there, especially the ones that are filled with IMGs since they are the easiest to take advantage of. Better report earlier since fixing most ACGME violations takes a lot of time since they don't just involve the program and the IM department; it involves other departments in the institution like hospital administration or ancillary staffing. In many cases violations occur because a program its sponsoring institution has limited financial resources to adequately cover services , and as a result is understaffed and with other staff such nursing/PAs/NPs. Since residents aren't paid on an hourly basis, it's "convenient" for programs to pull residents to fill in the gaps.

As mentioned in the post above, the best way to report the program is through the ACGME (ACGME > Residents and Fellows > Report an Issue > Office of Complaints). The ACGME accredits nearly all the residency programs in the U.S. and can but programs on probation or shut them down.

For the ACGME to take the complaint seriously, it has to claim a violation of a common program requirement, either one that applies for all specialties or one specific to IM residency (Common Program Requirements)

It sounds like violations are occurring at his program from what you're describing, so he should not hesitate to report it. The ACGME has a policy of keeping the reporter anonymous (they won't reveal the identity of the person filing the complaint to the institution) so they shouldn't know who made the claim unless the person gives personally identifying details.

Also, it may be helpful to look up the program's accreditation history (publicly available info on ACGME website) to see if there are any warnings that would suggest the program has had ACGME violation issues in the past. It probably would've been even better to research this why applying through the Match to avoid ranking programs with history of ACGME issues.

Also,your BF will need to ask his resident administration for the programs annual ACGME Program Survery data. The ACGME sends an annual survey on these compliance issues that at least 70% of residents in each program is required to fill out anonymously (it wasn't administered in 2020 due to COVID). It asks the residencies to rate how complaint programs are with various ACGME rules (eg 80 hr work limit, carrying no than 10 patients per day as an intern or 20 patients per day as a resident) and then ranks all the programs in a given specialty against each other based on the survey results of residents. IMO the ACGME should make these survey results publicly available since they provide key information for prospective applicants that can be used when ranking programs and helps to identify potentially malignant programs.

Last edited:
Talk about a career killer.. tread lightly or better yet let your BF decide if he wants to risk everything on that-

Talk about a career killer.. tread lightly or better yet let your BF decide if he wants to risk everything on that-
Complaints are reported to the ACGME anonymously so the program won't know which resident reported them. IMG-heavy programs are the most likely to abuse their residents since they assume they're the most vulnerable and unlikely to report the program. OP's BF should not be allowed to fall into that trap.

Complaints are reported to the ACGME anonymously so the program won't know which resident reported them. IMG-heavy programs are the most likely to abuse their residents since they assume they're the most vulnerable and unlikely to report the program. OP's BF should not be allowed to fall into that trap.

Welcome to the real world. No one cares about “right” or “wrong”.
Think long and hard about whistle blowing.
No one will be on your side, unless there is something in it for them, too, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user

IMG or not, there needs to be real evidence of an infraction, and there likely needs to be more than one trainee willing to testify to it. Shouting by yourself from the corner of a room puts you in a very precarious position.