Reporting medication errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21PharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was just reading up on medication errors and how they tend to be under reported in most healthcare settings. One of the big reasons why they are under reported seems to be fear of retribution resulting from reporting them. Im just curious what your institution or company's policy is toward reporting medication errors and dealing with pharmacists or technicians who make such errors? is there a certain quota of errors that pharmacists or pharmacy staff members are able to make before disciplinary action is taken? Is there a mandatory or voluntary error reporting system at your pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-21_4-16-15.png
    upload_2014-1-21_4-16-15.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 44
There is something called Just Culture. This means that as long as the person acted in good faith then we will also as well when dealing with their error. People are not punished if we can identify a procedural issue that contributed significantly to an error. However, if they acted willfully or neglectfully when we have already addressed the risk with a policy the appropriate corrective action. You simply cannot make reporting mandatory and still expect people will do it. We allow reporting to be anonymous, but I will tell you that self-reporting is low. There is no good solution as it will sometimes be appropriate to fire someone for an error so everyone will always fear that consequence.

I hear at Walm-Mart, reporting an Error is Mandatory; and not reporting is a gross misconduct and you get terminated. Also, I hear you have 3 qualifying errors (wrong medication, directions, or wrong patient) per calender year before you get sent to Home-office for training trip, then only allowed 1 error per year...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the bottom line. If the the error happens to be one of your own, then absolutely report it. If litigation occurs down the road and it is discovered you tried to cover up, then the company's liability carrier could throw you under the bus and if the BOP gets involved then you gotta another can of worms. Even if the error is your partner's do him/her a favor and report it to afford him/her the proper liability protection.

I hear at Walm-Mart, reporting an Error is Mandatory; and not reporting is a gross misconduct and you get terminated. Also, I hear you have 3 qualifying errors (wrong medication, directions, or wrong patient) per calender year before you get sent to Home-office for training trip, then only allowed 1 error per year...

This seems a little strict, just 3 errors per calender year before they are reprimanded? Do other companies have the similar policies about errors? Would be interested in hearing what other companies' policies are regarding medication error reporting and the number of errors allowed per time frame before disciplinary action is taken? CVS? Walgreens? Cost-co? Publix? Kmart? Rite aid? etc

I have learned my lesson reporting something at my chain, and that lesson is I am never reporting anything ever again. I'm never reporting anything wrong ever again. That's a F U to my company.

Reactions: 1 user
I have learned my lesson reporting something at my chain, and that lesson is I am never reporting anything ever again. I'm never reporting anything wrong ever again. That's a F U to my company.
Really , Would you please elaborate? I thought you actually could get in trouble for not reporting it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I can't elaborate. I think if I do, its too easy for my employer to know who I am am and out of fear I rather not. I like the money I steal from my employer. I mean I like getting paid.

Really , Would you please elaborate? I thought you actually could get in trouble for not reporting it.
You can depending on state requirements. Many state boards either require reporting in their practice act or could interpret the act to require it. This would mean by not reporting potential patient harm you would put yourself at risk of a lawsuit and action against your license.

When I was in retail, if I self-reported, then I put in as many details as possible (ex. After a 12 turned 15 hour shift where we had 2 techs call in without replacement, while working at a rapid pace in order to meet company standards for time to fill...)