Reputation of the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Clinical PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Psych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Anyone have any feedback on Wisconsin's program and their reputation? Did anyone apply to Wisconsin's Clinical program? If so, who do you want to work with?

I am thinking about applying there next year and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Kevin Psych said:
Hey everyone,

Anyone have any feedback on Wisconsin's program and their reputation? Did anyone apply to Wisconsin's Clinical program? If so, who do you want to work with?

I am thinking about applying there next year and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Excellent reputation.

It has a great reputation, but is very research-oriented and very biological in emphasis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help. Glad to hear they're well regarded. Who are the big names/researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison?

Kevin Psych said:
Thanks for your help. Glad to hear they're well regarded. Who are the big names/researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison?

This guy does some awesome work: http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/ I'm not sure if he takes clinical PhD students, though.

Lyn Abramson (spelling?) is a huge person in depression research, but, to be honest, I think her work is a little out-of-date. Obviously, it depends on what your own interests are, so just because there is a big name person there doesn't mean you should apply if their field isn't what you want to do.

Thanks again for the info.

I was just doing some online searching and found that in many rankings, Wisconsin was among the top 4 clinical PhD programs. The recent US World and News Report has them ranked as 2nd of all clinical doctoral programs.

I'm from the midwest area and becoming progressively more interested in applying at Wisconsin, partially due to their geographic location for myself as well as their top tier reputation.

Anyone have any other thoughts of the program?

Thanks.