SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Reputations

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by lakewood, Mar 5, 2007.

1. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Hello,

I am new to this forum but it looks like a great resource. I am currently interviewing at some PsyD programs and I have some concerns that I had not considered much before.

One concern is program reputation. To what extent do you folks believe that a program or school's reputation is important in choosing a PsyD program?

The programs I have applied to are not "big name" schools, as far as I know anyway. However, I never thought this was a negative thing until someone I know recently suggested that may be the case.

So I'd be interested to hear opinions: how important should reputation be in my decision?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Jon4PsyD

Jon4PsyD Go Red Sox 5+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    What are the programs that you are applying to/interviewing for? That would give me a better idea..

4. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    How about Nova Southeastern University, Argosy University (Chicago & Hawaii), and the Chicago School of Prof. Psychology?

I'm looking at clinical Psy.D. programs for each of these.

But do these names carry any reputations or even stigma?

Opinions appreciated.

5. dragonstyle

dragonstyle UIndy Grad! 7+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    from what i've heard from this forum, Argosy doesn't have the best reputation and people see it as at the bottom of the barrel. There is also a negative stigma attached to many professional psychology schools, so Chicago may not have the best reputation. That being said, I also applied to Chicago and got in there, and was planning to attend until I got accepted to another PsyD program.

6. Dr.Maybe

Dr.Maybe 2+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New York
    Any of those programs will help you meet your basic goal of becoming a psychologist. But you may encounter problems along the way if you attend a school with a poor reputation. For example, matching with an internship site - some PsyD programs have VERY low match rates. There's a thread about matching that you might want to check out. Attending a less reputable school may work against you in other ways down the line, as well, such as competing with others for jobs and clinical placements.

If you are concerned about reputation, try to stick with PsyD programs that are connected to universities - ie. Rutgers, Baylor, Loyola, LIU, etc. Schools like Argosy tend to be seen as "diploma mills." Good luck!

7. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    I don't know much about the latter, but I currently attend Nova, and I think it is pretty solid. It is based at a uni, and has some top notch faulty to work with. Historically they have a pretty good APA-approved internship placement rate (80%+) This year I think it was ~90%. The two biggest knocks are the size and cost. I wrote about my experience HERE. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

FWIW...I've heard the Argosy training can vary a good bit depending on the location, so make sure when you talk to people to find out about the location of their training.

-t

8. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I have a few questions about Nova. From the clinical psych web site for NSU:

This seems a bit vague to me, but what do you know about licensure after graduation from NSU? Are there many states where you will not be eligible (and if so, which ones)?

Also, a general question about the interview: on my personal statement I expressed interest in the child, adolescent & family concentration, but I have lately become more interested in the clinical neuropsychology concentration. If I am accepted, is it possible (easy?) to switch?

Thanks again.

9. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    I think that is legalese to address something like a state adding an extra ethics course to what they require while you are on internship. I haven't heard of any problems since I've been at Nova. There are some programs that are 90ish credits, and that might pose a problem if a state requires X amount of credits in a particular area. Nova is in line with the majority of other doctoral programs, at around 110-115 (I forget the actual number....the only number I know is 8...the remaining credits I need to graduate. :) )

-t

10. dragonstyle

Jan 15, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    My experience, with the programs I applied to, is that you can easily switch your interest. I think alot of the specialization classes dont start till maybe the second year anyway. Also, I feel like the philosophy of these programs is to create the best fit, so I would doubt they would be restrictive about something like that.

11. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    At the interviews I have already been to, they more or less split up the applicants into groups by their specific areas of interest. If given that choice, I am wondering if it would be foolish to go with the neuro group when my personal statement and application specifically state child, adolescent & family. Any thoughts?

12. dragonstyle

Jan 15, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thats strange. At the interviews I went to they never split us up. They asked us a few times, but nothing else. I would bring up your issue to a faculty member at the beginning of the day, and see what they recommend.

13. Jon4PsyD

Jan 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Out of the schools you mentioned I would go with Nova as well, reputation wise it's probably the best Psy.D. program in the Southeast. I would not bother applying to Argosy (I mean, they're even advertising on MYSPACE now!!) they are looked at as a degree mill like somebody stated, and it's hard to argue otherwise. There are a few decent professional schools (Like Chicago actually) but I'd still stick to a University based program.

Reputation wise the tops nationally are probably: Rutgers, Baylor, PGSP-Stanford (although very new), and Pepperdine.

14. manzanita

manzanita 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    How about Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology (MSPP) and California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS)? What about those two in comparison with Nova, reputation wise?

15. Jon4PsyD

Jan 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I can't speak for the school in California because I honestly have not heard of it, but I've only heard very good things about the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, and those good things were said by my Master's professors (with Ph.D.'s) here at Boston University. So despite it being a professional school, it's definitely well respected in this area. I'm strongly considering applying there when I finish my Master's.

16. docihope

docihope 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Just got accepted to the La Salle University PsyD program. Anyone know anything about this program? Reputation? Faculty? The interview was a great experience, but I'm wondering what other people have heard.

17. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    I'd agree with Jon. The schools he listed are definitely at the top of the PsyD listing. I looked at Rutgers but skipped it (since I use to live up in the area and wanted a change of scenary). I was very impressed with Baylor back in '03. I don't know the other two schools. There is an Indiana (of Penn?) that is up there too....but I always get it confused with another Indiana school. :laugh:

-t

18. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    I am glad to hear that the Chicago School and Nova are well respected. What type of name recognition does Nova have? Where I live (mid Atlantic) I feel that very few people seem to have even heard of Nova Southeastern. Also, its USNews undergrad ranking is quite low, how do you feel that affects the reputation of the PsyD graduate program?

I would appreciate as many opinions as possible.

Thanks.

19. ClinPsyD917

ClinPsyD917 5+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2007
    California
    I have had similar concerns recently about reputation. In the fall, I will be attending one of three schools in San Francisco: California Institute of Integral Studies (already accepted), Argosy (interviewing soon), or Alliant--CSPP (hopefully will get an interview). Now, I really do not at all have my heart set on Argosy... mostly I am going to the interview just to give myself some options. I agree with everyone that it seems to be a degree mill. I feel like I will be able to get a great education no matter where I go, and I will become successful in the field due to my own motivation (and not the school). I know that people will look at whichever school I attend and see that it is a professional school, which is not always favorable. But I hope I'll be competitive (for internships, jobs, etc) because of the experience I will gain on my own, and my interview in person. Is it possible, though, that some places will view my degree from a school like Argosy in a way that will actually HURT my chances?? Any input would be really appreciated.

To Manzanita: I am so glad you brought up CIIS. I felt like I was the only one on the forum that heard about that school!! Unfortunately, I don't know much about the reputation of the school... though I do think I know a lot about it. If you have questions, PM me and maybe I can answer them. I just wish someone knew more about the reputation or success of graduates from this program! :cool:

20. docjohng

docjohng Founder & CEO, PsychCentral.com Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Greater Boston
    If you're looking for value = reputation, I'm not sure I'd even be looking at Psy.D. programs, since they don't have the same history as Ph.D. programs. Nova Southeastern, for instance, is the 7th largest private university in the nation. Who cares?

What you should care about is the quality of the program you're getting into (and giving your money to), and what you're going to contribute to that program and the field in general. A school's reputation isn't going to open doors for you that otherwise wouldn't be opened and only the worst schools are going to close doors for you that would otherwise be open.

John

21. texpsych

texpsych 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    What do y'all know about the reputation of Wheaton's PsyD? Anyone heard anything? I have been accepted there and am strongly considering the program. I would love to know what you think...

22. NeuroPsyStudent

NeuroPsyStudent 2+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Some PsyD degrees will open doors because of their specific focus or reputation within an area. But heck, I know plenty of Argosy students who are really good clinicians. The best rise to the top. But I wouldn't personally go to a freestanding school when there are so many good University programs.

23. Jon4PsyD

Jan 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Lakewood, you can't even LOOK at how these schools are ranked based on undergraduate. There are some Clinical programs with 20% acceptance rates that may have had
    75% acceptance rates as undergrad. And I'm getting a lot of, "Oh my son/daughter got into that school out of high school, you'll have NO problem!" Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you're worried about reputation, worry about it within Psychology. Cause heck, some of the middle of the road Clinical Psychology programs may have Law schools that WAY outrank the upper tier Clinical Psychology programs. Get it?

If I asked most people applying to college in my area (similar to yours, the Northeast) about Nova Southeastern, I'm sure hardly any would have heard of it either. On the other hand, if I ask people like myself who have a pathetic obsession (and those who just KNOW this stuff from being in the field) with researching Clinical Psychology doctoral programs, they will know about Nova.

Honestly, I have not interviewed there or visited the school. I've heard from friends who have though, and from people on these boards and the feedback seems very positive. Like I said, it's probably the best Psy.D. program in the Southeast. The only complaint I've ever heard on Nova is that the funding is poor (But it's a Psy.D. program, so it's the norm).

Also to everybody talking about Argosy--it's APA approved. If you go there you can become a licensed Psychologist. And I have no doubt good clinicians have come out of there. But I do think it's a degree mill and that people looking at you for an itnernship or job out of school may give it the stigma that even we're giving it. Like I said before, when I saw them adveertising "Get your PsyD at Argosy!!" above my Top Friends list on MySpace...I had to shake my head LOL

24. Baloo

Baloo 5+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I had interviews for a few PhD programs and got accepted at two of the schools. I also, applied to three PsyD programs, just for the hell of it, they all happened to be Argosy APA accredited institutions. I can genuinley say that the Argosy University programs were much better organized on interview day and the professors were much more out going than the PhD programs I had interviewed with. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Argosy more than with the PhD programs I got accepted to. Argosy also screens applicants over the phone for an entire hour before they give one consent to apply to their program. I much rather have been told over the phone from some of the PhD institutions not to apply bc "blah blah blah," and save money from all the application fees that went down the drain! I believe a student should pick the instituation they feel most comfortable at inorder to utilize the program to its fullest potential. If you were an artist, the school you choose would be the tools you pick in order to sculpt an incredible master piece; so choose those tools wisely!

25. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Hi, thanks for your responses on my questions about Nova. I definitely appreciate it!

One of my concerns is that I am not sure which concentration to choose. My application and personal statement described my interest in child, adolescent & family. However, I have lately become more and more interested in the neuropsych concentration.

If I were to be accepted do you think it would be an easy transition to the neuro concentration? Or is it regimented in such a way that there is little (if any) switching once accepted to a specific program?

Any feedback would be appreciated -- thanks!

Also: Does anyone else have an opinion on Nova Southeastern who has not expressed one yet?

26. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    For neuro you pretty much have to declare going in (bc there are some extra classes you need to take starting your 1st year)......but there is a bit of wiggle room if you aren't sure. I'd suggest if you are on the fence, to do the neuro research and classes, and if you decided to change to child/family later that semester/year....you won't be lacking, since those spec. classes don't start until the 2nd year anyway.

The majority of neuro psych students at Nova are PhD (because of the research work you do and some of the extra classes you have to take....it matches up with the PhD). You can still do it as a PsyD, but I figured i'd throw that out there.

There is an option to transfer from the PsyD to the PhD (and vice versa), and I've seen a couple people do it, but it is very much on an individual basis. You have to have a good reason (changing concentration/focus of research), a supervisor willing to take you on, etc.

Just an FYI.

-t

27. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Therapist4chnge

Thank you for all of the info, I really appreciate it.

Here is a question of much less importance: Is there any kind of difference between "Nova" and "Nova Southeastern" ? I was just browsing facebook and I noticed there is a "Nova" network and a "Nova Southeastern" network (both in Ft. Lauderdale, FL). What's that about?

28. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    I assume it is the same? Technically there is a Nova HS...so if you see a bunch of young kids...you might have the wrong one. :laugh:

-t

29. psychwanabe

psychwanabe 7+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2007
    I've seen a lot of posts about PsyD programs in the west and east coasts, but not a lot from the midwest. Does anyone know anything about Xavier and Wright State SOPP PsyD programs? They are both in Ohio.

Here's what I do know: Wright State is one of the older programs - I think it began in the 70's and has been accredited by the APA since it's first graduating class. It normally has an internship match rate at around 95-98%, although this year was different as it was for everyone. That match rate is comparable to most PhD programs, by the way. I do not, however, know it's reputation in the scientific community as far as PsyD programs go.

I know less about Xavier. They are very new - I think 5-6 years or so. They are accredited. Their match rate is in the mid-80% range.

Both are attached to a University, which I think is very important.

Does anyone know any more than this, or know of a "ranking" site similar to that for PhD programs?

30. mathefiru

mathefiru 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    hey guys
    im considering both of these schools for psyd and i was wondering which is better

31. CAB481

CAB481 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2007
    I don't know about Yeshiva or Xavier but I did apply to a handful of Psy.D. programs, including Nova. I know it has a good reputation in the field, and I was impressed at the number of resources they have available during my interview there. The only downside for me was the size of the class, which runs about 70 or so. I am currently deciding between there, Widener, and PGSP-Stanford. I really liked Widener which I think has a solid reputation, however the idea of moving to CA for PGSP-Stanford is very appealing. I've heard people say PGSP-Stanford has a very strong reputation, however I think they're still awaiting APA accredidation (since they are a new program). I cannot help but be hesitant to attend a program that is so new and not even accredited yet. What do others think?

32. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    They aren't APA acreddited yet? I didn't know that. I checked out their website, and it seemed like a promising program.

As for Nova PsyD....I agree with you, large incoming class...though great facilities, faculty, and training. I'm very happy with my experience here, though I wish they would shrink their incoming classes sooner. (They are in the process of cutting it down, spread out over the next couple of years. The final number is still up in the air, but I've heard it in the 50-60 range, though nothing confirmed. I like where they are going, but I wish they started sooner)

-t

33. CAB481

CAB481 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2007
    That is good to hear about Nova decreasing the class sizes. As far as PGSP-Stanford accredidation goes, I believe they are supposed to hear about it in early April. They said at the interview that they have no reason to believe they won't receive it. I just hope they inform everyone soon because it is a big factor for me deciding where to go.

34. Jenny5

Jenny5 2+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Anyone know anything about the reputations of the following programs?

Virginia Commonwealth U Counseling PH.D.
    Colorado State Counseling Ph.D.
    Saint Louis U Clinical Ph.D

35. Dr.Maybe

Dr.Maybe 2+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New York
    I'm not sure about the other two, but VCU is currently considered to be the third best counseling Ph.D. program in the country (behind Boston College and Penn State) according to the academic statistics board (or something like that). I actually found the link to the top 10 programs in clinical and counseling psych on this site somewhere...

36. jagger

jagger 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Does anyone know about either of these schools' reputations?:confused:

37. carebear85

carebear85

Mar 27, 2007
    Does anyone know anything about the reputation of Immaculata University's PsyD program? (right outside Philly)

38. psychplease

psychplease 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2007
  39. psych00

psych00 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Loyola's PsyD apparently is pretty reputable, and their accreditation which started in '05 lasts for 7 years, which they said is the maximum length. They said their students are well-trained in assessment, which apparently is unique. They had a 90% internship placement match rate before the clearinghouse. They only accept 10-15 students per class which is a lot better than the professional schools and many other PsyDs. You also begin field placements in their clinic the first year, doing mostly intakes, and in years 3 & 4 you find other field placements. Although it was not a top choice for me to begin with, after going to their interview day I really thought it would be an amazing program to be in. However, as for their reputation....it is tarnished in my mind just because they didn't accept me :(

40. flitters

flitters 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2007
    maryland
    I'm excited to be attending Loyola's PsyD in the fall. I think their reputation is pretty solid (of course I could be biased). It is competitive to get into and the class size is small, factors which are important to me. Also. the core faculty is made up of many available/knowledgable PhD's. The education/coursework seems pretty generally based with opportunities to learn/engage in all of the theories. I did my masters there and did get some amazing assessment experience during and afterwards and the PsyD has a similar if not grander assessment focus. Although the PsyD is not the same as the masters program, many of the faculty overlap and I'm glad to be going back. Don't know if that helps psychplease but you can pm me if you have any questions.

41. psychplease

psychplease 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2007
  42. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Not fair to include PGSP/Stanford in that list. . . I don't know anything about Pepperdine.

It would be like saying some of the best undergrad liberal arts universities are the Univeristy of Texas, Universitiy of Virginia, University of Michigan, Harvard, Yale, and the University of West Florida.

43. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2005
    As for Nova, it has a large faculty, many well respected. I've seen a number of their students at good internship and postdoc sites (e.g., University of Oklahoma). It accepts way too many students and is too expensive in my opinion, making it part of the problem from my vantage point not the solution.

44. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    This is where Jon and I agree. I think the faculty is great, and there are many very well known and respected people on it. Most of the people place very well, though I think the problem is the bottom % of people, who should have been cut before acceptance. They are shrinking the # of acceptances, which should have happened a long time ago, hopefully this will address the stragglers. The crappy funding is also a concern. I think it was worth it, but it is up to each person to decide what kind of debt they are willing to accept, and what they plan on doing when they get out.

-t

45. Psychbound

Psychbound

Mar 27, 2007
    Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about the George Washington University PsyD program.
    Also, do any of you have any thoughts about attending a program that is almost 100% psychodynamic? I'm torn on whether or not I will be viewed as antiquated in my techniques.

Thank you so much for any input!!

46. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    I would ask around to see if you can get exposure to other orientation training/supervision during practica, from faculty, etc. I happen to believe in a psychodynamic approach for many things, but it doesn't fit everything....and you need to make sure you receive proper training/supervision in a number of orientations so you can best treat your future pts.

Large cities like NYC, Boston, and SF they still have very strong pockets of psychodynamic work, and you should be set.

-t

47. patgizzy

patgizzy

Apr 3, 2007
    the pgsp-stanford just got its' accreditation this week. just thought you all might want to know. :)

48. ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself 2+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I have a classmate who got her masters at th Chicago School of Professional Psychology and she said it was awful. To each her own, I guess. She's in the Psy.D program at the Illinois School of Professional Psychology/Argosy.

49. mftPsychSoc

mftPsychSoc 5+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I am kinda intersted to find out about La Salle's program, also might there be anyone out there familiar with chestnut hill's PsyD program?

50. psychophysio

psychophysio

Aug 1, 2007
    Actually, I have the DEFINITIVE answer regarding Psy.D. programs....It doesn't matter...You're still not a Ph.D. and you will be stuck explaining your degree for the rest of your life.

Good luck

51. Therapist4Chnge

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Thank you for the unhelpful post. I hope in the future you can offer more than that, but I won't hold my breath. :laugh:

-t