NY PhD Reputations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noxandrayza

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interviewing with NY schools this cycle for PhD in clinical psychology. I know there were some old posts here regarding my question. Even though I didn't get an offer yet, I think it is important for me to understand from insiders (clinicians, students, academics) how well the programs are received in NY area, as well as nationally. Particularly I would be very grateful if you could compare and contrast Adelphi, St. John's, Fordham, Yeshiva PhD, and Long Island Brooklyn PhD. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am interviewing with NY schools this cycle for PhD in clinical psychology. I know there were some old posts here regarding my question. Even though I didn't get an offer yet, I think it is important for me to understand from insiders (clinicians, students, academics) how well the programs are received in NY area, as well as nationally. Particularly I would be very grateful if you could compare and contrast Adelphi, St. John's, Fordham, Yeshiva PhD, and Long Island Brooklyn PhD. Thank you very much!

Why not Stony Brook University? That’s hands down the best program in the area. I don’t think any of the programs you referred to are fully funded. Is that an issue for you?

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a certain speciality you are already interested in as well (e.g., neuro, peds, etc)? That may help narrow down some options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. I didn't apply to Stony Brook, as I thought I didn't stand a chance. These 4 are the ones I am interviewing at. They're not all fully funded, yes. I am aware this has huge implications. However, if I get in, I would prefer not to wait for another year. I would be interested in specializing in neuropsychology, but I am not 100% set because I expect my interests may change.

I could be wrong but I know some strong mentors in neuropsych at Fordham. Probably the best out of all those options but I’m not 100% sure and I’m not a NYC insider.

If you’re going for neuro, I would say Fordham or Yeshiva (health emphasis). Fordham has some great faculty (Monica Rivera-Mindt is a rockstar) and I’ve seen great quality of training come out of both. St. John’s - hit or miss, I’ve seen great trainees and some not so great. Avoid Adelphi - nothing wrong with psychodynamic training, but you won’t get good neuro exposure. The rest I can’t comment on.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’re going for neuro, I would say Fordham or Yeshiva (health emphasis). Fordham has some great faculty (Monica Rivera-Mindt is a rockstar) and I’ve seen great quality of training come out of both. St. John’s - hit or miss, I’ve seen great trainees and some not so great. Avoid Adelphi - nothing wrong with psychodynamic training, but you won’t get good neuro exposure. The rest I can’t comment on.

I agree - Adelphi is way too expensive to be limiting your future options to purely psychodynamic work.

Thank you for your replies. I didn't apply to Stony Brook, as I thought I didn't stand a chance. These 4 are the ones I am interviewing at. They're not all fully funded, yes. I am aware this has huge implications. However, if I get in, I would prefer not to wait for another year. I would be interested in specializing in neuropsychology, but I am not 100% set because I expect my interests may change.
I get not wanting to wait to start on your program and career, but the financial implications are huge, especially considering the cost of living in NYC. Deferring a year to be more competitive for funded programs would save you many, many years of crushing debt severely limiting your take-home earnings.

Reactions: 1 users
Fordham has great neuro, is fully funded, and has great match rates at top sites.

When I was applying years ago, I interviewed at Yeshiva and remember having generally good impressions (I knew I wanted to do neuro from the outset). That said, Fordham is probably the strongest of the neuro programs that you have on your list. Good luck!

I’m a student at one of the programs you’ve mentioned and interviewed at/know people in the others...feel free to PM me happy to offer my thoughts!

Fordham would be my top choice as well.

Yeshiva and LIU seemed to have pretty equal outcomes

Adelphi would be dead last, IMO.

I am not that familiar with the St John's program.