Request for program impressions/rankings and match stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Forum Users,

The rank-list deadline is nearly upon us and I wanted to strongly encourage the many, many anonymous users of this forum to contribute program reviews & rankings. Speaking to many of you on the applicant trail and at ASTRO, I know that this site has been a tremendous resource for applicants in particular.

As you all know, residency programs in Rad Onc can change rapidly particularly with the recent move of a few major Chairpeople. As such, many reviews and rankings are likely out of date.

Please contribute and help better our community for future applicants. As always, if you would prefer an extra layer of anonymity don't hesistate to send your post to me by private message or if you prefer by email at gfunk6266(at)yahoo(dot)com and I will put it up.

Thanks,

Gfunk6

Members don't see this ad.

As Match Day draws nigh I wanted to wish all of our users/applicants only the best of luck! Also, I encourage all of you to contribute to the following threads:

1. Interview impressions
2. Rad onc rankings
3. Match statistics
4. Who's Who in Rad Onc 2011

To echo the sentiments of previous years, this thread can be very useful, but only if all the "lurkers" out there participate too, that's why provisions have been made to do it anonymously. SDN frequent fliers tend to be on the higher end of scores etc, and if only those people end up posting, all this thread will amount to is that, yes, highly qualified people end up matching well.

Those who have some weaknesses in their applications, on the other hand, provide hope to us crazy neurotics who spent way too much time on this site and "Charting Outcomes in the Match" analyzing our chances of matching at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the impressions account is gone

this might be why no one is responding....it might help to bring this back, even if just for a little while, to get some posts...

just a thought.

this might be why no one is responding....it might help to bring this back, even if just for a little while, to get some posts...

just a thought.

I concur. The advent of the internet provided a powerful vessel for people to make their opinions heard because it promised anonymity and protection from reprisal. After all, this is the internet, we are not individuals on the internet. We are user names and user accounts. When I meet you all in a coffee house then you become an individual in a community to me. ;)

how about wait until thursday guys :lol:

Funny, I've used my real name for years...
I just don't get it.
You think I'm not going to give you a job four years down the road because you trashed my residency? People have much greater worries.
Anyway, it's not that much harder to send GFunk your information over a private message than to sign into Impressions. He is not going to sell anybody out.
S

I concur with Simul. Sometimes, I wish I had a clever user name (Schwetti comes to mind), but I don't. I haven't had any repercussion from having my real name as my username. I've had a few friendly encounters at ASTRO by people who recognized my name, though.

But really, if you need to be more anonymous on this already anonymous forum, just create another free, anonymous account.

I actually gifted the forum with the Impressions account, so I'm sad to see it go, but you gotta admit it was abused as a cop-out by many. I'm not saying whether Impressions should or shouldn't come back. I just don't get this vigilance to keep yourselves uber-anonymous.

I concur completely with Simul and Clint. The Impressions account was an interesting social experiment but it was abused and ran counter to the sense of community on SDN. You now have three additional options for anonymity: create an account and post, create an account and PM me your desired post, or don't create an account and email me your desired post.

I also concur that the issue of anonymity in the context of impressions of program reviews or rankings is vastly overblown. Let me assure you that Program Directors and future employers are not trolling these forums looking for post history in an attempt to screw users. After the Match everyone moves on and nobody cares who ranked who where and why.

Like Clint and Simul I have made no real attempt to shield my identity and even a cursory examination of my posts will easily reveal my name/location. However I too have experienced only positive experiences from my SDN escapades. Folks have approached me at ASTRO and other venues to express support and appreciation for this forum. Furthermore I have received strong mentorship from senior residents and attendings by PM.

Therefore I again urge you to contribute. MANY people have reaped the benefit of program reviews/impressions over the years but few have contributed. Please leave a nice legacy from your class for future applicants.

Last edited: