Requesting a Caseload Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sobe103

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any literature that discusses when it is appropriate to refer a client to a different caseload?

I'm not talking about screening out certain client characteristics at intake, but accepting a client onto your caseload, and then later suggesting a transfer to a different clinician and initiating the change.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never experienced a situation/scenario when I've considered moving someone off of my caseload.
I was just hoping to find an article that discusses when it might be appropriate. I have searched on PsycINFO, but no luck/success.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the situation, but if the clinical issues are out of your scope of practice or additional services are available for client it could be done. I am in the process of doing this now with a client.

I think we might need more context. I'm not sure there is a general literature on this issue because it really depends on circumstances. Is this because you became aware of a multiple relationship? Are you closing your practice down? Because of inappropriate feelings towards the patient you don't think you can manage? Because you realized they need PE and you aren't trained in it?

I imagine referring to others is an extremely common experience for most everyone in practice, especially the latter and especially for those of us in large hospital systems where there tends to be some level of specialization. Its not a big deal at all in most cases and I'm not even sure what the literature could discuss. There is some literature on all of these things to varying degrees, but they each kind of fall under different umbrellas.

Reactions: 3 users