Requesting Advice - DIY Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hummus123

Reaction score
I'll try to make this short.

I had a very difficult time during undergrad because I had undiagnosed ADHD. My sGPA is very poor as a result (2.95). There was an upward trend though, as I got A's in all my science courses (all with labs) my senior year. My cGPA is around 3.45. After graduating with a dual major in 2020, I decided to take time off from school until I could figure out what was wrong with me and how to move past it so that I could excel in dental school. My life flipped upside down (in a good way) after I got diagnosed in late 2021. I took my DAT over the summer and got a 22 AA (21 TS). I applied to 15 dental schools in late August, knowing my sGPA was a problem, and in retrospect I regret doing so. I wish I had waited until next cycle. However, I can't change the past so I decided to be proactive about the situation. I re-enrolled at my university as a Postbacc student. I was already going to take Gen Chem 1 (w/ lab) because some schools refused to accept my AP credit for it. I also decided to take two biology courses, A+P (w/ lab) and Immunology, totaling 13 credits. I haven't heard from any dental schools yet, presumably because they want to first see my performance this semester. I have high A's in all three courses and will likely end the semester with a 4.0 GPA. This would bring my sGPA to almost 3.1. I am still not sure that this is enough for dental schools. My inclination is to take four or five upper level bio courses next semester so that, if I don't get in this cycle, I can apply next cycle with a higher sGPA. This would be 12-15 credits, and a 4.0 next semester would push me past the 3.2 mark. I can also take a class or two in the Spring/Summer semester if need be. I really don't want to have to do an SMP or formal Postbacc program. I can't afford to wait until next Fall to start the program and then apply to dental schools a year or two after that. The DIY Postbacc route allows me to take classes now and apply next cycle.

Given my cGPA and DAT score, is there hope for me? My extracurriculars are strong and I have over over 350 shadowing hours. My recommendation letters are strong as well, and I have 10 months of research experience. Will the route I have chosen make a substantial difference in my chance of admission?

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to give me advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're right about when you should have waited. Your sub 3.0 sgpa is probably what hurt you the most on your application. With that being said, bringing it up past 3.0 mark will open your chances of possibly getting an admittance. I'm not sure, however, when you would hear back since, yeah, they will probably want to wait and see how your grades are at the end of this term. I don't really know the difference between a formal post-bacc vs DIY other than a formal one may have more linkage to a dental school as would an SMP. If you get a rejection this year, I would ask schools about what you can do to improve your application and use that advice. But hopefully, things work out this cycle! Wishing you the best of luck and I'm proud of the hard work you've put in after graduating and understanding your ADHD and getting that managed.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
The late August submission is also working against the OP. I am very confused about the timeline. It sounds like the OP applied, then decided to take postbac classes. Now the OP will be a reapplicant knowing that they made serious errors about applying before they were ready or that final grades were posted even after this first term.

I keep seeing the question, "I don't know if it's enough for dental schools." That begs my question, "did you ask before you started to apply?" Did the OP have access to a competent predental advisor at the home undergraduate institution, especially one who can advise postbac student applicants? All I see is a preponderance for the OP to just throw good money after bad and hoping that the results will workout. That is to say, I don't see an actual plan.

I don't even know if the issue is a lack of experience hours or community service or possibly research (I only see hours, not the actual experience). Being successful is not just about grades.

Reactions: 1 user