Requesting advice on taking undergrad genetics vs. biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kookfu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my final quarter at UC Santa Barbara (undergrad) and will be studying for the MCAT immediately after I graduate. Do you think it would be more useful to take another genetics course (I took prokaryotic, next would be eukaryotic) or take the second quarter of biochemistry? Which do you think would be more helpful for the MCAT, and which would med schools prefer?

Thank you!:)

David E

Members don't see this ad.

It really does not matter, especially since either way it's only a quarter long course. Take what sounds more interesting to you, what you feel you'll enjoy learning the most, and don't do anything thinking it's going to give you a huge leg up on med school.

Personally I enjoyed genetics a lot more than biochemistry because it seemed more directly applicable to clinical knowledge at an undergrad level, but biochem is probably more likely to show up on the MCAT. Of course it would only be as background information and nothing in the course would be necessary to doing well on the exam. I hope this helps a bit and good luck no matter what you choose!

It really does not matter, especially since either way it's only a quarter long course. Take what sounds more interesting to you, what you feel you'll enjoy learning the most, and don't do anything thinking it's going to give you a huge leg up on med school.

Personally I enjoyed genetics a lot more than biochemistry because it seemed more directly applicable to clinical knowledge at an undergrad level, but biochem is probably more likely to show up on the MCAT. Of course it would only be as background information and nothing in the course would be necessary to doing well on the exam. I hope this helps a bit and good luck no matter what you choose!

I would actually say the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the genetics that was tested on the MCAT to be pretty simple (i.e., most gen bio courses covered the extent of the genetics that's tested). I found biochem to be more helpful in that it synthesizes principles from bio and ochem much like how you'll be expected to do on the MCAT, though, importantly, no material from biochem is tested. I'd recommend biochem over genetics.

I found the genetics that was tested on the MCAT to be pretty simple (i.e., most gen bio courses covered the extent of the genetics that's tested). I found biochem to be more helpful in that it synthesizes principles from bio and ochem much like how you'll be expected to do on the MCAT, though, importantly, no material from biochem is tested. I'd recommend biochem over genetics.

I agree with this.

You won't see either of them on the MCAT, although some students do say that biochem helps a little bit. I would suggest biochem for a more important reason, though: it's a first year class in med school. You don't want to go in with a disadvantage on that one relative to your classmates, do you? Getting your feet wet in biochem might help you cram the world of human biochem into your face during first year, so why not get started now?

I love you guys, thanks!

You won't see either of them on the MCAT, although some students do say that biochem helps a little bit. I would suggest biochem for a more important reason, though: it's a first year class in med school. You don't want to go in with a disadvantage on that one relative to your classmates, do you? Getting your feet wet in biochem might help you cram the world of human biochem into your face during first year, so why not get started now?

Also a good, though relatively minor, point.

Genetics. :thumbup: My friend took biochem before the MCAT and regretted it, because he said there were several questions related to genetics.