SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Requesting an Interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gooseHC, Dec 1, 2001.

  1. gooseHC

    gooseHC Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 21, 2001
    Hi I was wondering what the acceptability of requesting an interview at a school was. I have an interview at Loyola-Chicago on December 18th. I have also applied to Finch, but have not received word yet. I think I am confident that I should get an interview at Finch, but I don't know how admissions people react if I called and asked for one during that time frame. I live in Boston and really would like to only fly to Chicago once. So should I call and ask for an interview or see if they could fit me in, or should i just wait to hear from them and suck up the second airfare? and if i do ask them, how do you do that without seeming overconfident?
    any help would be great
    thanks and good luck to all!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. md2be06

    md2be06 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 15, 2001
    Whatever you do, do not ask for an interview! That's probably the surest way to ensure a rejection letter. Simply explain that you're going to be in town interviewing, and were wondering if it'd be possible for the committee to review your file so that you could potentially interview during that trip. Don't presume that you'll get an interview anywhere, regardless of numbers, because schools have many more applicants with numbers higher than their averages than they can possibly interview. Especially a school like Finch that receives almost 10000 applications. Just my $.02.
  4. Atlas

    Atlas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 27, 2001
    Columbus, OH
    I wouldn't ask for an interview just because you'll be in town. I WOULD call and tell them that you'll be in town and that you'd appreciate it if they would make a decision on your application sooner. You don't want to sound so cocky that you come across as saying "Hey...I know I'm gonna get an interview at your school. What time would you like me to show up?". That is bad. Just be "sweet" about it. Pleasantly ask them to move your file ahead so they can make a decision on your file in due time. Tell them your situation and see what happens.

    Good luck
  5. gooseHC

    gooseHC Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 21, 2001
    yeah, that's what I was thinking. I obviously wouldn't call and tell them to give me an interview. I called Finch a few days ago and they said my file was under review and should be back in the office sometime this coming week. So I am going to call later this week and let them know that I'll be in town. Thanks for the advice though

Share This Page