requesting an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bondgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, a question about if it's even possible or a bad idea to try and ask if a school has even considered me for an interview, and if so, how to ask for a date.
My situation: I have to be in DC around the 25th of October and I have applied to Georgetown and George Washington. I want to see if they would consider asking me for an interview, and if they are, I'd like to coordinate a date around the end of Oct, so I don't have make another trip out to DC just in case they do invite me later on.
Do you think I can call and ask them? Is that not a good idea? Has anyone else done this or is in a similar situation? Who would I talk to? Anyone that answers the phone in the admissions dept, and hope they send me to the right person.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as I need to book my tickets soon.
Thanks very much. And good luck to all waiting for interviews and congratulations to all that have got some already.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a bad idea to try to contact them. I'm sure they'll want to accomodate you. Einstein actually asks you to do so.

Send an e-mail to the admissios office (I'm sure you can find an e-mail address on the websites) and give them the dates that you will be in D.C. and ask it they might consider your for an interview at that time.

I have an odd story about something that happened to me last year in regards to scheduling interview: I was invited for an interview at MCP-Hahnemann (Drexel) and had also applied to Jefferson. So I sent an e-mail to Jefferson asking if they might consider me for an interview at the time that I would be in Philadelphia for the MCP-HU interview. A couple hours later I received an e-mail with no subject from a strange e-mail address. The e-mail, printed in all capitals simply read: SOMEBODY WILL BE CALLING YOU SOON -- sort of like a fortune cookie or something. Just as I finished reading that sentence, my telephone rang. I felt like I was in The Matrix or something. It was somebody from the admissions office at Jefferson inviting me for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kaos
I'm sure they'll want to accomodate you.

I wouldn't be so sure, but I'd definitely call (or email) and ask. Last year I was able to coordinate dates with a few schools, but others were uncooperative. The schools that were cooperative were Albany, MCPH(Drexel), and Jefferson.

Does anyone know if Wash U, U Chicago, or Northwestern is accomodating? I am flying to SF for my UCSF interview and will need to make a pit stop in either Chicago or St Louis (American Airline's major hubs), so I'd like to coordinate an interview at one of those places. Has anyone had any experience with Wash U, Chicago, or NW in a similar situation? Thanks.

Originally posted by mpp
Send an e-mail to the admissios office (I'm sure you can find an e-mail address on the websites) and give them the dates that you will be in D.C. and ask it they might consider your for an interview at that time.

I have an odd story about something that happened to me last year in regards to scheduling interview: I was invited for an interview at MCP-Hahnemann (Drexel) and had also applied to Jefferson. So I sent an e-mail to Jefferson asking if they might consider me for an interview at the time that I would be in Philadelphia for the MCP-HU interview. A couple hours later I received an e-mail with no subject from a strange e-mail address. The e-mail, printed in all capitals simply read: SOMEBODY WILL BE CALLING YOU SOON -- sort of like a fortune cookie or something. Just as I finished reading that sentence, my telephone rang. I felt like I was in The Matrix or something. It was somebody from the admissions office at Jefferson inviting me for an interview.

haha..whoa..that's awesome! :clap:

after i got an invite from nymc, i e-mailed rochester and einstein because i had already rec'd confirmation that my app was complete. rochester said they needed more time to consider my app, but einstein replied with an invite :)

wash u was great about accomodating me. i contacted northwestern, who said they will begin interviews on oct 22 and continue them through march, and when you're invited for an interview they give you 8 or 10 possible dates, one of which will hopefully work, so they were less helpful. one note about trying to use american airlines hubs though to save money - the airlines will often require that you take the earliest possible connection when flying through a city, so you'll probably have to buy a three way ticket (e.g. start location to stl, stl to sf, sf to home) so you can save some time but not necessarily all that much money.

Originally posted by pocwana
after i got an invite from nymc, i e-mailed rochester and einstein because i had already rec'd confirmation that my app was complete. rochester said they needed more time to consider my app, but einstein replied with an invite :)

Well, they haven't responded to my e-mail yet, after two weeks :(