Requesting Feedback on NYC MA Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych O

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for feedback, preferably first-hand, on the psychology master's programs at Teachers College, New School, and NYU. I will be starting an MA this fall in preparation for a doctoral degree in clinical psychology and was hoping there might be people out there who have attended these programs or who have information/feedback that might give me more insight into their quality.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what area of psychology you plan on studying at the PhD level. I won't comment on Columbia since I didn't find a good faculty match there, but NYU no longer has a clinical psych program, and to attend the New School PhD program, you first must earn your MA from them directly. Hope this helps.

i haven't attended either ( i have worked at a lab at new school and think it's a great program, though), but there are also lots of psych MA's in the CUNY system -- both experimental (brooklyn college, queens college) and counseling (hunter, i think, though i'm not sure. maybe it's at city?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hunter is experimental as well. I'm nto sure what CUNY schools have clinical programs.
By the way, fi anybody is familiar with Hunter, how would u rank their program? im thinking of applying...

Hunter is experimental as well. I'm nto sure what CUNY schools have clinical programs.
By the way, fi anybody is familiar with Hunter, how would u rank their program? im thinking of applying...

Hunter has an MA in general psychology, it does seem to be kind of research focus though as a Masters thesis and oral defense of the thesis is required. They also have a MHC program but i didn't apply to theirs, did apply to city college's as I know they are psychodynamic focused so they interested me more in regards to clinical training. As far as Hunters ranking I don't really know but their general MA sounds pretty intensive what i've read/heard, I am still waiting to hear if I have been admitted or not their.