Requesting funding match for clinical psychology PhD offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biopsychosocialmodel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an offer from a clinical psychology PhD program that has lower than average funding that is only guaranteed for only 3 years (though apparently most students receive funding for 4 years). The funding is an issue because I am not a US citizen so I wouldn't be able able to apply for external funding. I know some programs are willing to match their stipend with competitive offers (I currently have offers with higher stipend) but this program hasn't indicated this in their offer.
Is this something that is doable and if so how (and who) should I ask?

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask the POI, but it is probably not doable unless someone has a grant and is willing to put you on it. Rates for students are set from above and can't really be altered to attract one person. There are sometimes scholarships/fellowships, but those usually go to the person/people with the best incoming stats in the cohort, not for the asking.

Reactions: 1 users
I asked if a university could match another offer back when I applied (they weren't able to do so) and I now know the opposite side as a DCT. It is unlikely they will be able to do anything. That said, if that is the make or break issue, it can't hurt to ask as there may be some resources. For instance, we often receive $2,500 supplements to help us recruit our top students, so we could move one of those to a student with a competing offer. As a DCT, I personally am not going to be offended by your asking for a match. Thus, I say give it a shot, but try not to be upset if the program can't match as it may be out of their control.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely ask! I had friends who had very different stipends promised when we started in the same program, just because of availability of funding from PIs who had research funds, or could pay for more conference travel, etc. It's possible that it's not an option, but it can't hurt to ask, especially as you already have an offer. It may not be possible to change the official stipend part, but sometimes you can get extra money for conferences or RAing or a "signing bonus" to help with moving costs from the PI.

How to go about it - I think just be your usual professional self! I would email the PI, thank him or her for the admission offer, mention how excited you are about their work and the program (find something specific to talk about), and then mention that you're working on deciding between his/her program and another program and, while the fit is great on XYZ issues, you're concerned about being able to make it through grad school financially on X stipend in X city, and you're wondering if there's any flexibility on the funding side of things.

Good luck OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing wrong with asking, just be professional.