Requesting Help Comparing Schools: ETSU Quillen, UTHSC, Loyola SSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryuzikyuhn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have had the wonderful opportunity of being accepted to one of the three schools listed in the title that I’m waitlisted from recently. However, the school is only giving me a few business days to accept their offer, which makes sense given that they want to either solidify the class or keep the waitlist moving.

Though I’m still waiting to hear back from the other two schools, I was wondering if I could get some insight on comparing and contrasting with the other schools? I know those other schools are ofc still hypothetical but I wanted to ask now in case I am fortunate enough to receive another A tomorrow or even Tuesday morning (especially with CYMS being fixed now) and wanted to have enough time to consider factors and insight I might not have already.

(This post might also help inform other applicants to get more info from these particular schools! And if I include anything that I shouldn't have please let me know and I can remove it promptly!)

ETSU QUILLEN COM

Pros:

Currently hold acceptance offer

2nd cheapest (though by small margin compared to UTHSC), $38k tuition, mentioned money first though I don't mind taking out loans if a more expensive choice is more beneficial

Closest to home and parents in Chattanooga, easiest to visit home if needed (family sickness, etc.)

TRAILS program is an expedited track towards certain specialties such as Peds which I'm interested in, also systems-based instead of single courses

Mission is generally in line with what I care about, serving underserved populations, primary care, rural care too but not as much

Not as important/still considering if I want to, but MD/MPH program still done in 4 years at no additional cost

~~Similar arbitrary tier as Stritch I believe, not as high as UTHSC

Cons:

Might not have as many research opportunities as Loyola or UTHSC

Not my first choice for location, though Johnson City, TN isn't the worst place I could be, third ranked in terms of location

Attendance is mandatory

Doesn't offer health insurance

LOYOLA SSOM:

Pros:

First choice school, sent two LOI/Update letters and emailed mentioning ETSU's commitment deadline, exhausted all options within appropriate reason

I am in love with their mission and their Jesuit values as well as their community and how they work in their student orgs/community programs and have made sure to emphasize such at every opportunity

Did an SMP there, so I'm familiar with several of the professors, the facilities, and curriculum structure such as testing format and etc.

Location is ranked 1st among the three; though I probably won't have time to explore much of Chicago, having the chance to do so every once in a while would be nice

~~Not sure if pro or con but Stritch is foundations-based instead of systems-based, I'd love to hear a breakdown between these two curric. structures if possible!

~~Similar arbitrary tier as Quillen I believe, not as high as UTHSC

Cons:

Farthest away from parents

Most expensive COA, $64k tuition

UTHSC

Pros
:

Has 3-year accelerated program for specialties that I'm interested in like Peds/Med-peds, if accepted, residency spot is secured.

Cheapest COA (36k tuition)

As the larger state school, has more facilities and research opportunities than Quillen and potentially also Loyola

Classes are not mandatory, recorded lectures, no dress code

Can rotate back home in Chattanooga starting 3rd year

Not sure how much it matters but slightly better arbitrarily ranked compared to the other two I believe.

~~Not sure if pro/con: pre-clinical is P/F while clinical is going to P...P w/ honors...etc., has shelf exams which I'm not exactly sure yet what that entails

Uses quartile ranking for classes

Cons:

Slightly farther from family than Quillen being in Memphis

Despite research benefits, didn't resonate with mission fit as well

Ranked 2nd regarding location

-----------

Are there any other school-specific or general factors that I'm not considering that I might've missed and you all believe I should keep in mind? I would love to hear any and all insights, comments, and also answer any follow-up questions if needed!

Thank you for your time in reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems like you have a lot of reasons not to go to ETSU so it just comes down to Loyola and UTHSC. And the only difference between Loyola and UTHSC is cost, so I say UTHSC.

UTHSC is pretty LGBT friendly so if that conflicts with your Christian values then I would go with Loyola.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, if you get into UTHSC, I would recommend going there for the flexibility, extra resources and potential to be done in 3 years. Would not consider Loyola over your cheaper IS options.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like you have a lot of reasons not to go to ETSU so it just comes down to Loyola and UTHSC. And the only difference between Loyola and UTHSC is cost, so I say UTHSC.

UTHSC is pretty LGBT friendly so if that conflicts with your Christian values then I would go with Loyola.
Thanks for your response!

Yeah LGBT doesn't matter to me, but I was curious, do you think being in Chicago and in close proximity to other medical schools/health facilities would serve a benefit, detriment, or neutral factor for Loyola? I was of the notion that it would provide more opportunities but not sure if the increased competition that would come with it would be worth, versus Memphis where UTHSC is the sole main health facility iirc.