UC Davis Prime vs UCLA Medical School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopefulmom22

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A friend is trying to make a decision between UCLA Medical School and UC Davis Medical School , prime program. UCLA is close to their home and is less than 30 miles away. UC Davis is about 6 1/2-7 hours north of them. They have offered my friend $120,000 for four years and UCLA offered $20,000 for four years. Attending either school would still require taking the full FAFSA loans. If the remaining balance of money is not an issue, which would be the better school to attend? Just trying to get my friend different views. TIA.
 
Actually Davis is four years with an option of the 5th they want it. It’s not required.
In that case, I would probably go to Davis personally. 100k is still a lot of money, especially given it's still a very good medical school, and given the loans will multiply. Even at it's face 100k is a lot of money personally, so I'd go Davis for sure. Also, I've found a lot of people I know really enjoyed PRIME programs, and the sense of community they provide.

Also, Davis is at a baseline a lot better CoA/CoL wise, so it's likely 150k+ in total COA difference.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Disclaimer: PRIME-LA WL, but not attending UCLA Traditional MD due to cost.

I think I would for sure go Davis here, the COA difference is pretty big and that's always important, but especially this year. Also, I think those who apply to/ are accepted to PRIME programs really enjoy attending. I know people at almost all the UC PRIME programs (including Davis), and everyone has mentioned it greatly improved their educational experience. Especially because you can do it in 4 years, I think it's definitely the move. Cost is definitely top of mind for everyone this year, myself included, and the difference sounds quite substantial to me. Davis is a great school, more affordable, and the "community feel" all my PRIME friends have mentioned without fail is also pretty valuable imo.
 
Disclaimer: PRIME-LA WL, but not attending UCLA Traditional MD due to cost.

I think I would for sure go Davis here, the COA difference is pretty big and that's always important, but especially this year. Also, I think those who apply to/ are accepted to PRIME programs really enjoy attending. I know people at almost all the UC PRIME programs (including Davis), and everyone has mentioned it greatly improved their educational experience. Especially because you can do it in 4 years, I think it's definitely the move. Cost is definitely top of mind for everyone this year, myself included, and the difference sounds quite substantial to me. Davis is a great school, more affordable, and the "community feel" all my PRIME friends have mentioned without fail

Disclaimer: PRIME-LA WL, but not attending UCLA Traditional MD due to cost.

I think I would for sure go Davis here, the COA difference is pretty big and that's always important, but especially this year. Also, I think those who apply to/ are accepted to PRIME programs really enjoy attending. I know people at almost all the UC PRIME programs (including Davis), and everyone has mentioned it greatly improved their educational experience. Especially because you can do it in 4 years, I think it's definitely the move. Cost is definitely top of mind for everyone this year, myself included, and the difference sounds quite substantial to me. Davis is a great school, more affordable, and the "community feel" all my PRIME friends have mentioned without fail is also pretty valuable imo.
Thank you for your detailed response. My friend is also on the waitlist for Prime-LA. Do they need to make their decision by midnight tonight for the 30th, or by midnight of the 30th? I haven’t spoken to them yet today so I don’t know what decision they made. I’m hoping that they choose UCLA because it is closer to their home. But I do understand the excitement and honor of being accepted into a Prime program.
 
Thank you for your detailed response. My friend is also on the waitlist for Prime-LA. Do they need to make their decision by midnight tonight for the 30th, or by midnight of the 30th? I haven’t spoken to them yet today so I don’t know what decision they made. I’m hoping that they choose UCLA because it is closer to their home. But I do understand the excitement and honor of being accepted into a Prime program.
I think I will be deciding by midnight today, since schools can see the data tomorrow. Yeah, that totally makes sense. I agree the PRIME programs are amazing and so selective, that I think the students I've talked to really loved them. Hope they can get off the UCLA PRIME WL! I'm also holding out some hope! But wherever they end up, it'll be great, Davis PRIME is also amazing!