Requesting Help Refining School List: 3.24/504/non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nearly_There

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Long time lurker, but thought it was time to reach out for some advice on forming my school list. I will be applying MD/DO this cycle as a first-time non-traditional applicant. I am hoping to not aim too high and be realistic with the chances that I have as I don’t have amazing stats. I have a general school list put together now but would love any advice on adjustments I should be making. My AMCAS primary should be verified this coming week so I am preparing.
  1. cGPA and sGPA:
    1. 3.24 and 3.45 (DO) 3.3 (MD) with a strong upward trend for both
      1. All poor grades were from 10 years ago, with the past 4 years being at a 3.98
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 504 (126/125/126/127)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. California with ties to New Mexico
      1. Was stationed in CA and stayed to finish school, moving back home to NM next month.
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Recently graduated from Arizona State University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 10,000+ hours as a Corpsman in the Navy
      1. Experience in Labor and Delivery, Emergency Medicine, Trauma, Mental Health, EMT
      2. Created treatment program for service members suffering from post-concussive migraines and tinnitus. Was the first Naval transcranial magnetic stimulation clinic on the west coast which led to an award and increased access to care for thousands of service members.
    2. 3000+ hours as a medical assistant
      1. Most of this time was spent working in COVID testing tents, and small clinics taking vitals, and medical histories.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. ~450 hours Research in Traumatic Brain Injuries
      1. Conducted blast measurements on Navy Seals to assess the neurological effects of repeated low-level blast exposure they experienced on rocket ranges.
      2. Helped use this research to implement new range safety guidelines throughout the military to improve the quality of life for operational servicemembers.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. ~500 hours across multiple departments with both MD and DO
      1. Obstetrics, PM&R, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, Neurology, and Orthopedics
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Roughly 800 hours of volunteer work
      1. While in the military I helped to organize 30+ various volunteer events that I would then volunteer at across all of my duty stations. Hours are compiled from all of these events.
    2. 300 hours volunteering at UCSD
  10. Leadership
    1. Various leadership positions throughout the military.
      1. Lead Corpsman in the Emergency room for 2 years
      2. Lead Petty Officer/Clinical Coordinator for Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic 2 years
      3. Helped lead the design and construction of a multi-million dollar multi-disciplinary clinic
      4. Treasurer Position in Junior Enlisted Association 1 year (helps to organize volunteer events and workshops for junior sailors to help advance their careers)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Achieved Medal in Navy for creating first TMS clinic on the west coast
    2. Achieved Medal in Navy for designing and teaching a class on tactical casualty care to Japanese first responders while stationed in Japan. This helped to reduce pre-hospital turnover of care times for off-base responses.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. I have a lot of other extracurriculars that mean a lot to me and will be on my application like being an EMT/Tactical Combat Casualty Care Instructor, my love for hiking and the groups I have created to get people out on adventures through the mountains.
    2. I really love the mountains and anything outdoors so geographically I have been trying to find schools that are close by so that I can still get some stress relief on the weekends :)
    3. I also was born in the North East and spent a portion of my life in MA, NM and NC. I have close family in all 3 of these areas and would love to wind up in one of them.
    4. I know that my GPA and MCAT are my biggest hold-ups currently, but I am hoping to build a list of schools that will look at me for more than that.
MD School List (no particular order):
  1. UNMSOM
  2. Rosalind Franklin
  3. East Tennessee- Quillen
  4. Tulane
  5. Loyola
  6. Wayne State
  7. Quinnipiac
  8. Rush
  9. Wake Forest
  10. Drexel
  11. NOVA Southeastern
  12. Albany
  13. Creighton
DO School List (no particular order):
  1. AT Still - Kirksville
  2. DMU-COM
  3. Midwestern - Chicago
  4. Campbell
  5. LECOM (both campuses)
  6. KCU-COM
  7. Midwestern - Arizona
  8. Oklahoma
  9. PCOM (both GA and South GA)
  10. Rocky Vista
  11. Touro (CA, NV, and NY)
  12. UNE-COM
  13. MU-COM
  14. WesternU (Both campuses)
  15. WVSOM
Apologies for the length of this post, but any input is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add TCU-UNT, Dartmouth, George Washington, New York Medical College and Temple to your MD list.
For DO schools you could add these:
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
You could add TCU-UNT, Dartmouth, George Washington, New York Medical College and Temple to your MD list.
For DO schools you could add these:
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCUCOM
Thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it! I will add these to my list for applications this week