Requesting that a specific AE NOT be assigned to a manuscript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ex-partner, who was (semi?) abusive, is an AE (one of 10+) of a journal that I think would be a great fit for an MS. Is there a way to discreetly communicate to the editor why I really don't want this person handling the manuscript?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you e-mail the executive editor first and subtly ask about a recusal of said AE due to a potential conflict of interest regarding a past relationship? I'd have to think that a conflict of interest, good or bad, would be more than enough for a managing editor to recuse a reviewer.

Reactions: 3 users
Can you e-mail the executive editor first and subtly ask about a recusal of said AE due to a potential conflict of interest regarding a past relationship? I'd have to think that a conflict of interest, good or bad, would be more than enough for a managing editor to recuse a reviewer.
yup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would contact the EIC first, separately, before you put your manuscript into the submission system, so they can mentally flag it or be proactive about how to assign it once it gets entered into the system. Better there than in a cover letter or something that may just get auto-sent to whoever is the next action editor in line to take a submission.

Absolutely appropriate to request they not handle the manuscript and should be easily accommodated. Whether the person was an abusive ex, a non-abusive ex, a current partner or even just a college drinking buddy its quite reasonable to ask they not review your work. You may want to think carefully about how much you want to disclose to the editor (i.e. "abusive ex" vs "individual with whom I previously had a personal relationship").

Very sorry to hear you went through that.