Requesting to see letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudianSlippers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a little confused at letters of recommendation for Post Doc. Last year when applying to internships, APPIC just send all my letter writers links for them to upload the letters. This year, most of the sites I am applying to are not on APPIC, and it seems like they want the entire fellowship application emailed to the training director at once (including letters of rec) or uploaded to their website by me. I am a little hesitant to ask my letter writers to send me their letters, as I don't know how comfortable they are with that. Is it common practice to see the letters people write for you? Is it even okay to ask letter writers to send me the letters of rec? I'm not sure of any alternatives :(

I am looking forward to any input/advice you all have.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I am a little confused at letters of recommendation for Post Doc. Last year when applying to internships, APPIC just send all my letter writers links for them to upload the letters. This year, most of the sites I am applying to are not on APPIC, and it seems like they want the entire fellowship application emailed to the training director at once (including letters of rec) or uploaded to their website by me. I am a little hesitant to ask my letter writers to send me their letters, as I don't know how comfortable they are with that. Is it common practice to see the letters people write for you? Is it even okay to ask letter writers to send me the letters of rec? I'm not sure of any alternatives :(

I am looking forward to any input/advice you all have.

I emailed all my sites and asked for their preference. Most said they would take either letters sent directly by the letter writer or everything in one pdf. I only had a few (or one) that specifically requested that letters be sent directly by the letter writer. Most said it was really whatever I preferred.

Maybe email your sites and ask? Then you would know for sure before asking your letter writers.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed all my sites and asked for their preference. Most said they would take either letters sent directly by the letter writer or everything in one pdf. I only had a few (or one) that specifically requested that letters be sent directly by the letter writer. Most said it was really whatever I preferred.

Maybe email your sites and ask? Then you would know for sure before asking your letter writers.

Not sure why I hadn't thought about this. I think ill just do this. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Ooo I hadn't thought of this. For applications where we email directly, are you submitting everything in one pdf (cv, cover letter, LOR, etc)? Most of my sites don't specify submission format.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ooo I hadn't thought of this. For applications where we email directly, are you submitting everything in one pdf (cv, cover letter, LOR, etc)? Most of my sites don't specify submission format.

Yeah they didn't specify format. I was planning on just sending everything together in one email (Cover letter, CV, letters of Rec, PDF of transcript). I just thought it was kind of weird to have me send the letters of rec rather than the letter writers

I was going to put everything in one pdf so that the sites only have to download/save my materials once (minus LoRs b/c I think all my letter writers want to send those off themselves).

Most of my sites didn't specify submission format either.

I have two sites on my list who say they prefer to receive the full application (LOR's included) in one email. I just told my letter writers this and asked if they felt comfortable but offered an alternative. Two letter writers told me they have no problem sharing the letter with me and I'm just waiting to hear back from the third.

I think it's widely believed/known that at this level, letters of recommendation are either written by the student and signed by the supervisor/professor or that the content is extremely transparent.

I've never really understood the concept of keeping this so secret? It's especially weird because none of the secrecy really exists or is in play in the actual job world.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's widely believed/known that at this level, letters of recommendation are either written by the student and signed by the supervisor/professor or that the content is extremely transparent.

I've never really understood the concept of keeping this so secret? It's especially weird because none of the secrecy really exists or is in play in the actual job world.

If this is the case, do you think sites put less emphasis on the importance letter of rec, given that they might imagine they were crafted by the person applying for one or more of their letters?

Agreed... and to @psych1420 - I personally do not put a ton of emphasis on letters of rec, partly for this reason, but also because unless I know the letter writer personally or the letter is not a positive one, I find that they do not tend to give me a great deal of useful information above and beyond the rest of the application package.

I definitely didn't write any of the content of my postdocs recs, but it was standard practice for my supervisors to write their recs, sign them, and scan them so I could send my application materials in one package electronically or via mail. This seemed to be common, unlike internship letters, which you never see.

However, they did have to tweak their letters and print/sign scan new ones for every separate postdoc site for me, which is a pain, but I gave them due dates for each site so they could do them all at once or just one at a time. The only thing they changed in the letter was who it was addressed to and date.