required classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs etc, etc 06-07 edition. I was looking at the classes they suggested as an absolute minimum and was wondering if you folks agree. Do you think their list is overdone? Do you think they're missing anything vital? Here it is:
Statistics
Research Methods
Abnormal Psychology
Physiological Psychology
Learning, Cognition, Personality
Child/Developmental Psychology

They also "heartily recommend" Social Psychology, History and Systems, Psychological Testing/Tests and Methods, and at least one lab course. Whaddyall think?

Members don't see this ad.

kestrelcry said:
So I just got the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs etc, etc 06-07 edition. I was looking at the classes they suggested as an absolute minimum and was wondering if you folks agree. Do you think their list is overdone? Do you think they're missing anything vital? Here it is:
Statistics
Research Methods
Abnormal Psychology
Physiological Psychology
Learning, Cognition, Personality
Child/Developmental Psychology

They also "heartily recommend" Social Psychology, History and Systems, Psychological Testing/Tests and Methods, and at least one lab course. Whaddyall think?

I'd say that minimum list looks good to me. If your program offers a "history of psychology" course, or equivalent, I would strongly recommend taking it. If you have taken any practice tests, you will know there are a lot of questions about names, dates, and theories. The summer before taking my test, I took an "intro psychology" course (I had not taken it before and it did not count toward my undergrad psyc degree). I found this course to be an excellent refresher for all of those names and important dates. Otherwise, you could get by with the above coursework.

I don't think it is overdone. I think it is just about right. Especially if you include the "heartilly recommended" ones as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
And just to elucidate, I should have specified before, this is just for getting accepted to grad programs, not making life easier once you're there.

Well, if take the party line from admissions committees then you don't have to have taken one class in psychology to be admitted, it's only strongly suggested. But they aren't going to take anyone who hasn't had at least a certain level of undergraduate coursework in psychology. Does one have ot have taken everyone of those courses? No. I have never taken a systems & history or child evelpment course per se. But I've taken at least one of everything else.

I think it is important to remember what admissions committees are looking for. Much like any employer, they are looking for successful candidates. So that means hiring the best person for the job. They want someone who isn't going to need to play catch up once they are there. That is where all the past efforts come in. They also want somene who has potential to do good work. That is where SOP and interview come in to play.

Psyclops said:
I think it is important to remember what admissions committees are looking for. Much like any employer, they are looking for successful candidates. So that means hiring the best person for the job. They want someone who isn't going to need to play catch up once they are there. That is where all the past efforts come in. They also want somene who has potential to do good work. That is where SOP and interview come in to play.

SOP?

Statement of purpose. Also, LOR = Letter of Recommendation.

There is actually no APA policy on undergrad pre-reqs, but consider:

First year courses will likely include:
Psychopathology - Abnormal as a pre-req
Stats - stats as pre-req
Research Methods -RM as pre-req
Cognitive/IQ Assessment - tests and measures as a pre-req
Personality Theory -same or intro to psych as pre-req

You can check with the schools you apply to, but that is pretty typical.