What Courses are APA Required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPhDMama

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find documentation listing the APA required courses? Or are they competency based? In brief, I want to advocate to get out of a couple courses, but first need to divine if they’re required. I already have WAY more credits than I need to graduate and do not want to take unnecessary courses for obvious reasons. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

there are no required courses. everything is based on competency. courses are just an easy way to demonstrate competency.

pretty much all programs are going to be more than required for a doctoral degree. that's not a reason to get out of courses since program design supercedes university requirements as they will be more specific.

Not APA specific, but when applying for licensure most states will ask if you graduated from an APA accredited program. If no, you usually have to list out your coursework. Look up your programs state licensure, Virginia has the “Area of Graduate Study” form.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there are no required courses. everything is based on competency. courses are just an easy way to demonstrate competency.

pretty much all programs are going to be more than required for a doctoral degree. that's not a reason to get out of courses since program design supercedes university requirements as they will be more specific.

Slightly different question, but some states have course requirements. Like CA having a bunch of PITA stuff that usually requires extra coursework.

To the OP, what level of coursework are you talking about? Undergrad or grad?

Reactions: 2 users
Why not just take the classes?

Reactions: 1 users
Why not just take the classes?
+1 on this. Because of some scheduling nonsense, I took our intro to research methods course at the end of my PhD program, having already taken several advanced stats classes and having 30+ pubs. Didn't learn much but did make a close friend, so it was totally worth it, IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
You should consider licensure and board certification implications for opting out of courses.

Reactions: 3 users
Some states have requirements for coursework. Some other countries, too.

Yup, pointed that out above. I do not believe that my current state does beyond graduating from an APA accredited program. But, one of my previously lived, non-CA states, did have some course requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, between this and your thread about using your practicum hours towards licensure and feeling that advanced practica hours are "irrelevant" if you already hit the gross minimum necessary to apply to internship, it seems like you're trying to speed run your training instead of getting the highest quality possible.

Reactions: 1 user