1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

required LETTERS OR REC from non science faculty?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jmejia1, Jul 6, 2001.

1. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know Albert Einstein requires two letters, one from one's major department and the other from a science faculty. UC davis requires one from a non-science faculty. I have a few science faculty that are very willing to write me letters, but I never got to know any of my non-science professors, including those from the psychology department--my major. What other schools require non-science faculty letters of rec.?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I applied last year, but I forget which ones specifically asked for a non-science. Maybe about 7 or 8 of the ones I applied to. Did you ever get to know you pscyh TA's very well? If worse comes to worse, you could ask one of them to write you a letter of rec, and have the prof for the class co-sign it. I did that for one of my letters and it didn't seem to be a problem.

4. tbachi

tbachi Member
    10+ Year Member

I am getting three science letters and two non science letters. I believe that these combined tell a lot about me and the different experiences I have had during my college years. One of my letters is from an administrator that I have worked with through a campus organization. He has a PhD, works at the university, and I have worked closely with him even though it wasnt in a class!!! I think creativity with your letters can help you out and show why you are unique from other applicants.

5. electra

electra SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

bachi gives good advice - I, too worked closely with the dean of students at my school, who has a Ph.D in educational pyschology.. he wrote a letter for me that you would not believe, and two schools commented on it in my interview.
    You might also look into professors for courses like philosophy or ethics for your non-science letters.