Required Part 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FOBDENTIST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: HI,

I will be giving the NDBE part 1 exam this JULY. Can any one tell me the required average scores for the various univs to get admitted into the Advanced Placement Programs. I was under the impression that since CA state extended their Bench exam deadline, there would be less competition. Please help me with this question as I am not sure if I can get into any univ at all. Also I have MPH degree from a univ in Texas. Does having a graduate degree from US helps in admissions? also are there any courses that help us in preparing for the pratical test administered by various univs in california?

Members don't see this ad.

FOBDENTIST said:
Can any one tell me the required average scores for the various univs to get admitted into the Advanced Placement Programs.

Take a look at nalini's list.

FOBDENTIST said:
Also I have MPH degree from a univ in Texas. Does having a graduate degree from US helps in admissions?

Chances are yes. At least it won't hurt.

Meggs is right.It will help atleast for references,as most of the time they know foriegn references are all phoney most of the times.

Members don't see this ad :)
BBGUN said:
Meggs is right.It will help atleast for references,as most of the time they know foriegn references are all phoney most of the times.

How cn they be not phoney most of the time? If I graduated 13 years ago, what can the dean or any faculty member really tell about me? All they can do is to look at my grades and tell if I was a good student. In my school even the dean changed after I graduated. So the requierment itself is illogical. Only your previous employer can really tell how good you are in the professional field. But only some schools accept recomendation letters from the eployers instead letters from your previous dental school.

SJ35 said:
How cn they be not phoney most of the time? If I graduated 13 years ago, what can the dean or any faculty member really tell about me? All they can do is to look at my grades and tell if I was a good student. In my school even the dean changed after I graduated. So the requierment itself is illogical. Only your previous employer can really tell how good you are in the professional field. But only some schools accept recomendation letters from the eployers instead letters from your previous dental school.
So ,now FOBDENTIST should be happy that he did an MPH here.Like SJ35 says how can it not be phoney?Good point ,just make sure they don,t catch you doin git.Like the 11 th commandment is ,"though shall not get caught."The requirement is not ridiculous in American terms as here ,you can back track any person even to the grave ,to get a recommendation.But,I am sure it is quite a challenge in other parts of the world,also lot of them just don't wanna help anybody.I think ,that is the reason though they know recommendations are useless ,they still rely on board scores and gpa.If you are an American grad,recommendations are important an dthey wouldn't even touch your application without it.Infact,there are instances where they actually contact the person for clarifications.

BBGUN said:
So ,now FOBDENTIST should be happy that he did an MPH here.Like SJ35 says how can it not be phone?Good point ,just make sure they don,t catch you doin git.Like the 11 th commandment is ,"though shall not get caught."The requirement is not ridiculous in American terms as here ,you can back track any person even to the grave ,to get a recommendation.But,I am sure it is quite a challenge in other parts of the world,also lot of them just don't wanna help anybody.I think ,that is the reason though they know recommendations are useless ,they still rely on board scores and gpa.If you are an American grad,recommendations are important an dthey wouldn't even touch your application without it.Infact,there are instances where they actually contact the person for clarifications.

Actually, the recomendation letter might be really from the dean of the school, but the information in it might be more like made up, just because the dean doesn't remember you.

SJ35 said:
Actually, the recomendation letter might be really from the dean of the school, but the information in it might be more like made up, just because the dean doesn't remember you.
That is right,that is why people like fobdentist definitely will be in adavantage.

BBGUN said:

Yes I'm right, but you are very wrong. If such a thing was true, schools wouldn't require reference letters in the first place. I'm sure many people fake those letters, but I don't think MOST of them are fake. At least this is how things work where I'm from, perhaps from were you come things work different.

BBgun to be honest, you haven't posted a single positive messagge since you joined this board. All of your post have been either realistic (thanks for those btw) or negative to the extreme. Please, that attitude won't help you get in anywhere, anyone interviewing you could "smell" that negativity right away and reject you because of it.

Sincerely,
Meggs

I dont like to waste my time on people but for future reference,MEGGS I really don't care about your post.I would have written more in retaliation,but I am really short of time.And,I am sure you must've heard about the first amendment.If not ,do some quick reading and by the way ,welcome to America-Land of the free and Home of the brave.I am sure you will agree with that ,as I din't say that.
So take care and don't worry about me too much ,the same way I dont about you either.

wow ..guys.. lets not go ahead with this.
bbgun, wht sj meant washe/she has her recommendation frm the deanof the school whr she/he studied but since the dean changed ,the reco would have been frm a format which the school generally uses and not the deans personal opinion abt her.
its highly impossible for the dean of a college to know and remember each and every student of his. he has to rely on the markslist etc to give a recommendation. and usually if the student is good thn they give a reco based on a particular format which is generally given to all meritorious students. he cannot keep writing separate recos for every1. but this doesnt mean they r phoney. :D boy, i think u must have had some real bad experience frm whrever u studied. but pls dont generalise. this sort of thing doesnt happen all the time.of course thr might be exceptions.

I always thought i am the only one suffering from the reco. letters problem..did anyone see the form requested by the pass for application to masters!! the institution form and the professor form and the transcript request form...since i saw these forms i knew i will never be able to apply to any postgraduate program...the dean form asks about the professional look, withstanding criticism and a lot of stupid stuff ..i left the school long time ago..in addition to many other barriers that will not allow me to send this form to the dean...not a single professors is reachable for me now..what can i do!!

Yes ,I hve heard horror stories and I have gone through it personally too,my dean just for no reason made me wait in the country (where I did school),when he knew my visa was expiring there and I had to leave.I literally had to bend his arm to get one.This was the same dean who was smiling his face off ,when his office took tens of thousands of dollars to put me in school.Most of the time ,they just dont wanna help for the sake of not helping,I guess.But ,yes like ANN said I did have good experience from few other teachers who to this date ,all I have to do is call them and they send me recommendations by Fed ex.So,I usually try to avoid the Deans letter ,but that is always not possible.Since I went to school here too,I have to tell you that if the deans letter is reqd and he/she cannot answer the questions,they are allowed to leave it blank,but in some cases they take feed back form other reliable professors and fill it out to help the student.Like ANN said,you cant expect the dean to know everybody,but if you had the one like I had,you are in for a rough ride.But all is good that ends good.

And ANN SJ and me are buddies,so there is no war there.Thanx for mentioning that.

[.Like ANN said,you cant expect the dean to know everybody,but if you had the one like I had,you are in for a rough ride.But all is good that ends good.[/QUOTE]

r u frm ab shetty by any chance :D :D :D . well my seniors and juniors will tell u abt our college and dean. :D :D :D
hey no war absolutely :)

Ann 03 said:
[.Like ANN said,you cant expect the dean to know everybody,but if you had the one like I had,you are in for a rough ride.But all is good that ends good.

Well said madam

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ann 03 said:
[.Like ANN said,you cant expect the dean to know everybody,but if you had the one like I had,you are in for a rough ride.But all is good that ends good.

r u frm ab shetty by any chance :D :D :D . well my seniors and juniors will tell u abt our college and dean. :D :D :D
hey no war absolutely :)[/QUOTE]
No ANN.I am not from ab shetty .My dean was a megalomaniac,a crazy man out for a kill.I just happened to be one of his prey.I had a flight to catch at 1.00 AM to get out of the country(my visa was expiring at 12.00 am) and he gave me the recommendations and ofcourse all the other documents relieving me at 6.00PM and sarcastically made a remark that I might miss my flight.The drive to airport was 6 hrs ,so do the math.I barely made it to the plane,and I was excited about going home for good.But,I still was lucky one.I have had friends who had to miss flights,get into trouble for violating visa,miss their siblings weddings all because of this crazy despot.Ofcourse,there were stray incidents like when a student just cracked up under pressure and threatened him .But ,most never did that as they had too much to lose.I was just amazed at the man.To me ,he still is the craziest soul alive.(in terms of our beloved president,he was shock and awe)I was always under the impression ,America was a place for all kinds of craziness ,but that man just changed everything.
Muscan,general recommendations are normal but sometimes especially if you talk graduate education,lots of schools have specific questions that they want to be answered.That is where ,we could get stuck as questions might be too obscure for the person to answer.Any way,thousands have corssed this hurdle and made it,so will all here.