Required to list SAT score on medical school secondaries. Thoughts?

Started by mrh125
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some schools require SAT scores to be reported or say why you can't report them, but I took the test several different times and have scores ranging from bad to awesome (2280). If I just report the 2280 they'll think I'm awesome, but that's not the full picture of who I am. What should I do? Why do they ask for this?
 
Even universities are mostly only concerned with your highest score (many will even take the highest subscores and add them up). Do they specify what all you need to report (e.g. all scores/highest subscores/ highest overall score)? My SAT actually appears on my transcript as well.
 
Even universities are mostly only concerned with your highest score (many will even take the highest subscores and add them up). Do they specify what all you need to report (e.g. all scores/highest subscores/ highest overall score)? My SAT actually appears on my transcript as well.

great info thanks I wish med schools did that for mcats. As for the med school im asking about it doesnt specify which score it wants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good lord, I last took the SAT in 1997, while I remember my score 1270 out of 1600, I cannot imagine how that would be relevant from as long ago as that was.

I hope they ask the date it was taken.

Now you have me wondering if I should retake that too! :/
 
I only remember having to list it for one school...I wanna say Jefferson? Anyways, I really don't think they'll care, I just ballparked my score.
 
Good lord, I last took the SAT in 1997, while I remember my score 1270 out of 1600, I cannot imagine how that would be relevant from as long ago as that was.

I hope they ask the date it was taken.

Now you have me wondering if I should retake that too! :/
Especially since it's the older version! Id have to look mine up 2002 feels like ancient history.
 
Yay.. maybe my 36 will add one positive thing to my terrible grades..lol
 
I only remember having to list it for one school...I wanna say Jefferson? Anyways, I really don't think they'll care, I just ballparked my score.

I know Penn State asks for SAT. Can't remember my Jeff secondary, but that's possible too.

And yeah, it doesn't really matter. They're not going to check with College Board or anything. If they don't specify, just combine your highest subsections together.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there an option to list ACT score? I never took anything other than a practice SAT in high school.
 
East coast seems to favor SAT. I know a lot more schools on the west coast prefer ACT
 
So if I had below average SAT scores but fairly competitive MCAT Scores, a medical school won't not accept me for that SAT score?
You still have a year or two left in high school, right? That means you have 4-6 years left until you start applying to medical school. That is a ton of time. Please don't worry about your odds of acceptance yet. If you want to research the medical field and do medicine-related extracurriculars to see if the field is right for you, that would be an awesome idea. However, you really don't need to be thinking about how likely you are to get accepted yet. If you are this worried about your application 4-6 years out, you'll be going wild with stress and anxiety by the time you're actually applying.
 
You still have a year or two left in high school, right? That means you have 4-6 years left until you start applying to medical school. That is a ton of time. Please don't worry about your odds of acceptance yet. If you want to research the medical field and do medicine-related extracurriculars to see if the field is right for you, that would be an awesome idea. However, you really don't need to be thinking about how likely you are to get accepted yet. If you are this worried about your application 4-6 years out, you'll be going wild with stress and anxiety by the time you're actually applying.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I know my worrying is a really bad habit and I need to get rid of it! 🙁But I'm slowly starting to find my love and passion for medicine while volunteering at my local hospital every summer, so I don't wanna let my worries get the best of goal! LOL But thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated!:happy:
 
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I know my worrying is a really bad habit and I need to get rid of it! 🙁But I'm slowly starting to find my love and passion for medicine while volunteering at my local hospital every summer, so I don't wanna let my worries get the best of goal! LOL But thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated!:happy:
Trying a little to hard to craft a personal statement, sweetie……..
Christ, you’re in high school? You’re going to have to find another clinical experience in college to pitch to committees, so don’t hyped up about your high school volunteer position lol 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Christ, you’re in high school? You’re going to have to find another clinical experience in college to pitch to committees, so don’t hyped up about your high school volunteer position lol 😉
Trying a little to hard to craft a personal statement, sweetie……..
What? Lol. I was just saying how I'm beginning to find stuff that I actually find interesting, and the health career is that! Majority of people at my age don't really even know what they want to do in college and for their career. I'm not trying to commit myself to anything. High school is about figuring out who you are, and what your interests are am I right? I'm doing the high school volunteer position because I find it FUN and I enjoy it, helping my community, not just for college applications and committees... Is it bad too have a little enthusiasm (I didn't intend to seem as a "try hard") as I am only 15 years old, turning 16 in a couple days? 😉
 
lol COLLEGE and post-college is about figuring out who you are and what your interests are. You're barely into puberty during most of high school..
 
Jefferson gonna Jefferson. When you have twenty bazillion cookie cutter 3.65/31 applicants, you need to figure out some kind of metric for who will actually show up if accepted.
 
What? Lol. I was just saying how I'm beginning to find stuff that I actually find interesting, and the health career is that! Majority of people at my age don't really even know what they want to do in college and for their career. I'm not trying to commit myself to anything. High school is about figuring out who you are, and what your interests are am I right? I'm doing the high school volunteer position because I find it FUN and I enjoy it, helping my community, not just for college applications and committees... Is it bad too have a little enthusiasm (I didn't intend to seem as a "try hard") as I am only 15 years old, turning 16 in a couple days? 😉
Don't feel bad about your ambition and interest in careers. It is awesome that you are already attempting to discern which career is best for you. If you enjoy volunteering in the hospital, you should absolutely continue to do that. I hope you don't get discouraged by anyone telling you that you shouldn't be considering careers yet or participating in activities that you find enjoyable. Continue to pursue your interests and discern a career in the medical field, but just don't let your discernment turn into stress and anxiety over an application that you won't be filling out for another 5 or 6 years. I wish you all the best.
 
Don't feel bad about your ambition and interest in careers. It is awesome that you are already attempting to discern which career is best for you. If you enjoy volunteering in the hospital, you should absolutely continue to do that. I hope you don't get discouraged by anyone telling you that you shouldn't be considering careers yet or participating in activities that you find enjoyable. Continue to pursue your interests and discern a career in the medical field, but just don't let your discernment turn into stress and anxiety over an application that you won't be filling out for another 5 or 6 years. I wish you all the best.
Thank you so much for the support😀! And yeah I will try not let these other accounts hinder or stop me from trying to reach my goals! I know my anxiety and neuroticism is unhealthy and detrimental to my studies, goals, and overall being! So I am trying to be more calm and trying so my relaxation techniques lol. I am continuing to talk to patients to help them feel better while I volunteer and enjoy helping my community at the same time! I really appreciate the response and wish you the best as well:happy: