Requirement to specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, im just curious, how difficult is it to get into a specialty program such as ortho/surgery/prostho etc? For instance If i get 3 B's in my first semester am i finished? Or do you mostly need a gpa above a certain number etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve answered this question before in a different thread. Try searching SDN and you can probably find your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So if my gpa is 3.8 and my class is a bunch of 4.0 and im ranked 18? Its going to be relatively difficult?

You have the right idea. It doesn't matter if your GPA is a 3.9 or a 3.4 - what matters is the class rank.

It's different every year at each school. For our school, for c/o 2021, 3.9 would put you top 10-15 and 3.8 would put you around #20-25. But c/o 2023, I think they have ~10 students with 4.0s.

Rank #18 is good, but it depends on the speciality you're applying to. For Prosth and Peds, that's probably a great rank to have. For Surgery, it's decent, but could be better. For Endo, it's probably low. For Ortho, it's definitely on the low side. (This is just my opinion based on what I've heard from classmates).

You have the right idea. It doesn't matter if your GPA is a 3.9 or a 3.4 - what matters is the class rank.

It's different every year at each school. For our school, for c/o 2021, 3.9 would put you top 10-15 and 3.8 would put you around #20-25. But c/o 2023, I think they have ~10 students with 4.0s.

Rank #18 is good, but it depends on the speciality you're applying to. For Prosth and Peds, that's probably a great rank to have. For Surgery, it's decent, but could be better. For Endo, it's probably low. For Ortho, it's definitely on the low side. (This is just my opinion based on what I've heard from classmates).
Your class of 2023 sounds like mine, class average on nearly every test or quiz is usually between an 88-91, so if you happen to be getting just shy of an A- for grades you are way at the bottom half of the class. I wonder how things will work out by the end of d4 with there being so many people who are gunning lol