Requirements for Clincal Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GP2123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that responses to this question will vary from program to program, but what are the typical annual requirements, in terms of vaccinations and lab testings, for clinical rotations? Im sure all programs require an annual tb test, but what about a blood test, urine test, etc.? I ask because I am a fainter and don’t do well with having my blood drawn. I would like to know what to expect well ahead of time so that I can prepare myself for it.

I should note, this will not affect my decision to pursue a career in PT at all. I am 100% sure that this is the career for me. So, please, spare me from the “you should rethink your decision” and “maybe PT isn’t for you” comments. I just want to prepare myself for what may lie ahead.

Also, before the comment is made, yes, I am very aware of the inclusion of gross anatomy in the curriculum of the overwhelming majority of DPT programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, I'm a fainter with needles too! And I was originally scared of cadaver lab but it's now one of my favorite experiences from PT school. You're definitely not alone.

Annual things for us were TB test and flu shot. My program specifically required blood titers for proof of immunity before enrolling (which was....fun....) but my clinical sites just required documented proof of vaccination. Some may require a urine drug screen, but beyond that I haven't heard of any other similar invasive requirements from my classmates.

Don't worry, I'm a fainter with needles too! And I was originally scared of cadaver lab but it's now one of my favorite experiences from PT school. You're definitely not alone.

Annual things for us were TB test and flu shot. My program specifically required blood titers for proof of immunity before enrolling (which was....fun....) but my clinical sites just required documented proof of vaccination. Some may require a urine drug screen, but beyond that I haven't heard of any other similar invasive requirements from my classmates.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Physical annually, Tb skin test annually or chest x-ray every 2 years. I do not recall drawing blood while in PT school. One of my clinicals asked for urine test. Flue shot is not mandatory, but I had to sign a paper that "I am aware of consequences" for not getting it. They say some clinical sites may not accept you without a flue shot, but none of mine cared.

Physical annually, Tb skin test annually or chest x-ray every 2 years. I do not recall drawing blood while in PT school. One of my clinicals asked for urine test. Flue shot is not mandatory, but I had to sign a paper that "I am aware of consequences" for not getting it. They say some clinical sites may not accept you without a flue shot, but none of mine cared.
Awesome, thanks!