Requirements for IMG fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob12345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Rad Onc resident in Australia and I'm interested in doing 1-2 years as a Rad Onc fellow somewhere overseas to get some fresh perspectives. USA looks like a good place to do that. I'm aware that you need ECFMG certification in order to do this though, and that requires USMLE. I'm pretty sure I can pass quite easily with a bit of study on weekends for the next few months, but I'm pretty sure it wont be anything flash unless I take a few months off work for full time study. I really can't be assed taking that kind of time off work just to get a US fellowship though (I could go to Canada/Europe with much less effort). So I'm aware that you need awesome marks to get into residencies, but does anyone know if you need good marks to get fellowships?

Cheers,

Bob

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Bob,

I think that rad onc U.S. fellowships are not so competitive. Most residents in the US after residensy go to practice to make money and rad onc is not surgery, so you can practice rad onc without fellowship. It is painful to pass all USMLE Step Exams, to get ECFMG cerificate, it is not so difficult, but it takes TIME and cannot be done within a few months!!! Waiting time for Step 2 clinical skills is 3-4 months because there are only a few testing centers for this exam and you have to wait. If I were you I would go to Canada or Europe. Avoid pain, if you can!