ABR eliminating SA-CME requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The end of this year will mark the completion of three full years since the successful launch of Online Longitudinal Assessment (OLA) for all ABR specialties. While we celebrate its many benefits, we continue to evaluate opportunities to improve OLA and its overall fit in the Continuing Certification (MOC) process.

OLA has proved to be a robust self-assessment tool. To that end, 2022 will be the final year that we will require diplomates completing their OLA annual progress requirement to complete self-assessment CME (SA-CME). All diplomates will still need to complete 75 Category 1 CME credits in the previous three-year period, but no SA-CME will be required after 2022. The OLA annual progress requirement is the number of questions a diplomate needs to answer each year. For most, this is 52 questions per year, but it will vary depending on how many certificates you are maintaining.

Here are a few things to keep in mind as you think about the upcoming changes to SA-CME:

• All diplomates still need to complete 75 Category 1 CME credits in the previous three years, regardless of OLA participation.
  • Only diplomates completing their OLA annual progress requirement will be able to forego SA-CME
  • The last SA-CME attestation for those completing their OLA annual progress requirement will be during the 2023 Continuing Certification (MOC) attestation period January 1-March 1, 2023.
  • Diplomates not completing their OLA annual progress requirement will still need to complete 75 Category 1 CME credits, of which 25 must be SA-CME.
If you have questions, please contact an ABR Certification Manager at [email protected] or (520) 790-2900.

Sincerely,

Brent Wagner, MD, MBA

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
My guess is that SA-CME was not generating enough revenue for ASTRO as initially intended. Too many free SA-CMEs out there for free or bundled with conferences other than ASTRO.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that SA-CME was not generating enough revenue for ASTRO as initially intended. Too many free SA-CMEs out there for free or bundled with conferences other than ASTRO.
Plus those weekly questions honestly feel like a self assessment thing. Takes care of the online exam requirement as well. Two birds one stone

Reactions: 1 user
You guys know regular CME credits where you took any sort of a test counted for SA-CME?
Research to Practice was my go to, though typically not super relevant to the everyday practice of rad onc.

Reactions: 2 users
The email was a little cryptic. Does anyone know who is still responsible for completing it?

Nothing happens at ABR RO without PW's approval
I mean to say, should the requirement be lifted, it seems like it might not take effect immediately… so some may still have to complete SA-CME. I haven’t had to complete them yet and would prefer to keep it that way haha