Requirements for LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was under the impression that you could get letters of recommendation from anyone you wanted. I mean, is it absolutely required that you get LOR's from at least 2 science professors? What if you got them from only one science professor?

Basically, I got 4 LORs: 1 from a science professor, 1 from a non-science, 1 from a PhD I did lab research for and 1 from my boss at a job I had while I worked through school. Am I screwed here? Do I need to get another science professor, or can I stick with what I've got?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has their own requirements which they tell you about on the secondary app. Some schools also have the info on their websites. The most usual request is 2 science and 1 non-science, but some schools ask for a humanities prof, and one (I believe it was Case, but don't quote me, wanted 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, and 1 humanities!:rolleyes: The whole thing becomes moot if your school has a pre-med committee and will be sending a composite letter based on the letters they've collected for you (I guess the undergrad pre-med committees probably have their own requirements for numbers and kinds of letter, but my school didn't have one, so don't really have a good understanding of that whole process). Most med schools require you to use the pre-med committee if your school has one.

Bottom line: you need to check each school's requirements. They are not all the same.

so if my school sends a premed committee letter, I don't have to worry about the breakdown of types of letters?