Reschedule MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took AAMC 3 and got a 27 (10ps, 8v, 9bs). This was my first practice exam, and I finished the ps section with nearly 10 minutes left, the bs section with nearly 15 minutes left, and I didn't have enough time to finish v. If this really is the easiest exam, will it be possible for me to increase my score to 30+ by june 16, or should I consider pushing my test date back? And do you have any advice for how I can improve my score within 4 weeks?This is making me really nervous :(

Members don't see this ad.

I just took AAMC 3 and got a 27 (10ps, 8v, 9bs). This was my first practice exam, and I finished the ps section with nearly 10 minutes left, the bs section with nearly 15 minutes left, and I didn't have enough time to finish v. If this really is the easiest exam, will it be possible for me to increase my score to 30+ by june 16, or should I consider pushing my test date back? And do you have any advice for how I can improve my score within 4 weeks?This is making me really nervous :(

I didn't think it was the easiest test. 4 weeks is a time for improvement. For BS, they don't require a lot of knowledge, and most of it is in the passage. You have to know the basic concepts covered in the checklist. The biological sciences section is moving more in the direction of whether you can analyze data given in the passage.

And most importantly it was your FIRST practice exam. Did you breakdown your errors? Are you missing questions that you could have gotten right but failed to do so in the moment? I'm not sure what to say about verbal, because I hardly practiced, but knowing which questions are easy and hard could better serve you. Only go back to the passage for questions when you know where you'd find the answer.

So far I've just looked over PS and I made really stupid mistakes with just not completely reading the questions and answer choices thoroughly. I got very few wrong based on just not knowing the information and I thought it was really easy while I was taking it. I scored 41/52. For the verbal section, I was really distracted with other things going on, so I wasn't concentrating when reading, and I had to keep rereading the passages...I guess I should have taken the exam when I knew it would be quite. For BS I scored 37/52, but I haven't gotten to look over my mistakes just yet

I didn't think it was the easiest test. 4 weeks is a time for improvement. For BS, they don't require a lot of knowledge, and most of it is in the passage. You have to know the basic concepts covered in the checklist. I also don't think it was the easiest, either.

And most importantly it was your FIRST practice exam. Did you breakdown your errors? Are you missing questions that you could have gotten right but failed to do so in the moment? I'm not sure what to say about verbal, because I hardly practiced, but knowing which questions are easy and hard could better serve you. Only go back to the passage for questions when you know where you'd find the answer.

You can totally get a 30+ in four weeks. (Need evidence? Check out some of the recent MCAT threads, like the one from 4/16/2011 - many people list their every score for every practice test. You'll notice an uphill trend, despite the "increase" in difficulty.)

As ModusProbandi suggested, review your every answer - the ones you got right, the ones you got wrong. That will help you fine-tune your approach to each question so that you can better think like the test writers for AAMC 4-10. Recall your thought processes - why did you answer this way? If you answered correctly, does your thought process match what the explanation states? If not, do you see why you were wrong or why the other answer is the "best answer"?

For tips on how to improve, check out the 30+ thread to read how others managed. There are also plenty of hints.

It looks like your PS is pretty good (especially for a first exam). Do verbal passages every day, and that will help bring up your verbal score. There's also a thread by LostInStudy/QofQuimica? on Verbal Strategies. Read through these threads when you have some "downtime", like during your lunch break or after your day of studying.

Since this was your first exam, you just need to do what everyone finds themself doing after that exhaustive sucker, and that is learn to concentrate. When you are in that proctored situation, there will be random fans creaking, computers buzzing like they are from 1976, and people coughing like they have TB in the middle of July. Practice focusing and shutting everything out except your thoughts. If you can't do that, buy ear plugs. (I like to go to Starbucks and study so that I can hone in on my thoughts)

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
4 weeks is enough time to finish entire EK 101 + TBR set
that will get you 30+

Ok thanks guys! I think I will stick with June 16. I am going to be finishing up content review within the next few days. Which AAMC exam do you recommend I take next?