Rescheduling DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzayee

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if I'm the only one who can't reschedule the DAT exam for any dates in June or July.

My DAT was scheduled to be in May and I've checked the availability in like 4 states and cannot get any location with June or July dates available.
To apply for this cycle, I'm thinking taking DAT in August will be too late. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm also in a similar predicament. I currently have my DAT scheduled for June 8th, however I'm not sure Prometric centers will even be open in June or even July.. So I'm also thinking about rescheduling to take it in August, which would make my application be late. However if you think about it, they'll probably extend the application cycle due to COVID and I'm sure many people are also in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I think scheduling in August would be our only choice at the moment due to the current circumstance.

Hi,

I was wondering if I'm the only one who can't reschedule the DAT exam for any dates in June or July.

My DAT was scheduled to be in May and I've checked the availability in like 4 states and cannot get any location with June or July dates available.
To apply for this cycle, I'm thinking taking DAT in August will be too late. What do you guys think?

I literally just had a mini breakdown I planned to take it in June, and there are no dates in any states near me (I’m in Nashville) I was forced to take it August 12th the earliest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also wondering if taking it August 12th is too late... I feel like at this point we have no choice.. maybe dental schools will be more accommodating.

Don’t reschedule unless you receive an email. May DAT is still happening unless you receive something from Prometric telling you otherwise

see page 3 under “test administration vendors”

I just received an email from Prometric stating that my test is still scheduled for June :soexcited: Here's what the email stated:

" Dear Test Taker,

We're emailing you to inform you that your upcoming test with Prometric for May/June is still confirmed.

Due to COVID-19, we are making testing procedure modifications at our centers to ensure the safety of our test takers and staff, provided here. All test takers are required to adhere to the following policies and procedures while at the Prometric test center. Failure to do so will result in your inability to test. We also recommend you practice other transmission-preventative measures, including washing your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap & water for at least 20 seconds; covering your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue while coughing or sneezing; and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands. For additional measures, we recommend reviewing the CDC’s Steps to Prevent Illness. This confirmation is pending specific site closures. Should your designated test center be closed for your appointment, per normal process, you will receive a cancellation email prior to your testing date. By clicking "confirm appointment" below, you acknowledge and agree to the attached guidelines, including bringing and wearing a face mask or not being allowed to enter the test center. If you are uncomfortable or unable to test for any reason, you can reschedule your appointment for no additional charge, prior to your testing date. "

@Leahjoos I would definitely still take it (and nail it!!)! I was just talking to my predental advisor at my school and she was saying that this years application cycle will definitely be more accommodating towards applicants due to COVID. Also, there's a new optional question on the AADSAS application that prompts applicants to share how COVID-19 has affected their preparation to apply for dental school. Best of luck to you all with the application and DAT!

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email from Prometric stating that my test is still scheduled for June :soexcited: Here's what the email stated:

" Dear Test Taker,

We're emailing you to inform you that your upcoming test with Prometric for May/June is still confirmed.

Due to COVID-19, we are making testing procedure modifications at our centers to ensure the safety of our test takers and staff, provided here. All test takers are required to adhere to the following policies and procedures while at the Prometric test center. Failure to do so will result in your inability to test. We also recommend you practice other transmission-preventative measures, including washing your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap & water for at least 20 seconds; covering your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue while coughing or sneezing; and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands. For additional measures, we recommend reviewing the CDC’s Steps to Prevent Illness. This confirmation is pending specific site closures. Should your designated test center be closed for your appointment, per normal process, you will receive a cancellation email prior to your testing date. By clicking "confirm appointment" below, you acknowledge and agree to the attached guidelines, including bringing and wearing a face mask or not being allowed to enter the test center. If you are uncomfortable or unable to test for any reason, you can reschedule your appointment for no additional charge, prior to your testing date. "

@Leahjoos I would definitely still take it (and nail it!!)! I was just talking to my predental advisor at my school and she was saying that this years application cycle will definitely be more accommodating towards applicants due to COVID. Also, there's a new optional question on the AADSAS application that prompts applicants to share how COVID-19 has affected their preparation to apply for dental school. Best of luck to you all with the application and DAT!

I got the exact same email as you.

I'm wondering, they also said that this confirmation is pending specific site closures. Do you think there is a legit risk of our testing site being closed? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

I got the exact same email as you.

I'm wondering, they also said that this confirmation is pending specific site closures. Do you think there is a legit risk of our testing site being closed? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

I think it's dependent on your state and where you live. In my state, the number of COVID cases has been relatively low compared to others and many businesses/facilities are still on mandatory quarantine until mid-May. So I'm hoping that the quarantine will lessen the number of new cases and will allow Prometric centers to function normally by May/June! Have you contacted your Prometric center regarding your test being possibly cancelled? I called mine and they said that since I'm taking mine in June, that their center shouldn't be closed. So I would try and call and maybe ask for their opinion first before coming to any full conclusions. I'd also keep an eye out for other open test dates this summer just incase you need to reschedule!

" Dear Test Taker,

I will try to nail it! I have more time today study so have I no excuses at this point. I also saw some schools that I am applying to you can apply without the scores so schools are making slight changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also wondering if taking it August 12th is too late... I feel like at this point we have no choice.. maybe dental schools will be more accommodating.
Sounds pretty late though other people are in the same boat. If the rest of your application is very strong, then you may still have a chance of getting in this cycle though maybe not necessarily at your top choice. If you do decide to apply this cycle, SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION EARLY JUNE! Let the dental schools get everything else then once you take the DAT, they get that as well. While they won't review your application until they get your DAT score, at least you will have everything else lined up and ready to go.

hey, I just checked exam availability and they've opened up a lot of spaces in certain locations in May and June, so you should go check!

Attachments

• SS 2020-05-01 at 5.47.20 PM.png
    SS 2020-05-01 at 5.47.20 PM.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 110
Sounds pretty late though other people are in the same boat. If the rest of your application is very strong, then you may still have a chance of getting in this cycle though maybe not necessarily at your top choice. If you do decide to apply this cycle, SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION EARLY JUNE! Let the dental schools get everything else then once you take the DAT, they get that as well. While they won't review your application until they get your DAT score, at least you will have everything else lined up and ready to go.

I’ll definitely submit early. My top schools that I am applying to their deadlines are October/dec so hopefully I’ll be okay. Thank you for the advice !

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread. My DAT was canceled and the only date I could find was early August. My gpa is on the borderline of most school's medians so I was really hoping the DAT could save my application. Do you think I should give up this cycle or will schools be accomodating?

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread. My DAT was canceled and the only date I could find was early August. My gpa is on the borderline of most school's medians so I was really hoping the DAT could save my application. Do you think I should give up this cycle or will schools be accomodating?

Don’t give up, I think you should still apply I see schools that I’ve considered applying to making changes to their admissions schedule, And even mention that they will allow you to apply without DAT while they wait on your scores. I’m personally not setting myself back, the schools I’m applying to their deadlines are Dec 1st and their early application is August 1. My exam is on the 4th of August. I am just going to make sure I have everything in before July and then just wait in the scores & be in communication with the school about the delay.

If it makes you feel better, I took my dat in October and sent in my application late November. Got accepted to my top choice. message me if you have any questions.

^^Seconding this, I took my DAT in early September and was offered an interview everywhere I applied except Harvard. Multiple acceptances. Application wasn't considered complete until October because the person who was writing the committee letter was new and couldn't figure out how to submit it properly for months...