Rescue dose of Decadron

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coccygodynia

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering if any of you have lit on using 4mg Decadron as a rescue dose for PONV.
 
coccygodynia said:
Wondering if any of you have lit on using 4mg Decadron as a rescue dose for PONV.

huh? what does 'lit on' mean. i use dexamethasone all the time, unless it's contraindicated (diabetes, infection, some ortho procedures, etc.). you just have to give it time to work (iow, fairly early in a short case). of course, i usually blast them with some reglan and/or zofran too.
 
VolatileAgent said:
huh? what does 'lit on' mean. i use dexamethasone all the time, unless it's contraindicated (diabetes, infection, some ortho procedures, etc.). you just have to give it time to work (iow, fairly early in a short case). of course, i usually blast them with some reglan and/or zofran too.

Sorry - "literature on" .. not like a cigarette.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No "lit" here but some experience with the decadron. I use it when called for. I don't use it exclusively and I don't use it every time. There are some reasons for not using it as Volatile stated but I will add some of my reasoning. It works well in combination with other meds but it can also lead to post-op depression. The pt will feel good for the first day and then on occasion feel depressed for the 2-4th post-op days. No lit that I am aware of on this. Also it is not as cheap as one would believe. I think my hosp. charges $20 for 4mg. So if someone fits the criteria for PONV prophylaxis then it is one of my preferred meds. If you are asking about it as a rescue drug after the onset of PONV then yes I use it if no contraindications exist. Please remember that everytime you give a drug, it costs money. It may save money in the long run but if it was not needed then it didn't save a dime. We may be headed for a period were those that can provide good anesthesia for a low price are rewarded or more likely not punished.