Research advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to do some research this coming summer. Most of the schools are asking me to write what kind of research I would like to do exactly, but I have no idea. I haven't done that much research before, but the options I'm being given are ALL interesting and seem like fun to me.

I want to do something that won't be too much of a headache...but also something that can get me published. Are there any areas that are doable and "easier" to get published?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't count on getting published no matter where you go. Some people spend years in grad school before they can get a paper. Don't make that the focus of your research. The best reason to do research is to have a great learning experience and see what happens in the world of science. Just don't go into it with the goal of publishing and you'll get a lot out of it.

That said, there are definitely areas that move more quickly. For example, work with mice usually takes time, as does x-ray crystallography. I"m sure people will have good suggestions in this regard.

I think a lot of it might depend on your PI as well--a really good PI will explain the project to you, make it fun, try to see what you like and orient your experiments around that. Also, a nice PI will be more likely to help you with writing and possibly add your name to a paper if you work there long enough. As far as "headache" goes...... if you don't like the lab bench, then maybe consider clinical research? I personally am not a fan of certain techniques (i absolutely hate westerns after 2 summers of nothing else) and while I really like organic synthesis, i know a lot of people who strongly dislike it.....so its really up to you to figure out what you want to do! I agree not to focus on getting published, or you might end up not having too much fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shrami said:
I would like to do some research this coming summer. Most of the schools are asking me to write what kind of research I would like to do exactly, but I have no idea. I haven't done that much research before, but the options I'm being given are ALL interesting and seem like fun to me.

I want to do something that won't be too much of a headache...but also something that can get me published. Are there any areas that are doable and "easier" to get published?

Getting published shouldn't be your goal. It will just lead to frustration. With that being said, you can try to maximize your chance of being published by searching PI's that are very prolific. If you look at their resumes, you will see that they list their publications. If they are publishing 7-8 papers every year, there is a good chance that you will get your name in somewhere.

Also, I find that clinical research tends to lead to faster results thus publications. That's just my two cents.

I agree that publication should NOT be your main goal. I have worked for three years (45+hours/week) in a very successful research lab and have co-authored three papers in that time--it takes quite a bit of time and work! Focus on what you can learn from your research experience...it will most certainly supplement your pre-medical studies.

Thanks a lot to all of you. I'm a little more clear now.