Research after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackinabox1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident currently in the fellowship match process here. I want to make an earnest go at academics and try to spend my 18 months of research time in fellowship in a bench or translational lab. If I am not able to get funded, how feasible is it for me to find an academic job where I can have enough time to do a pseudo-postdoc on the side? My concern isn't so much the money, but really maintaining my clinical skills while I do research.

Members don't see this ad.

Resident currently in the fellowship match process here. I want to make an earnest go at academics and try to spend my 18 months of research time in fellowship in a bench or translational lab. If I am not able to get funded, how feasible is it for me to find an academic job where I can have enough time to do a pseudo-postdoc on the side? My concern isn't so much the money, but really maintaining my clinical skills while I do research.
Lots of places will be willing to give you an "instructor" level position to work part time clinically and part time in the lab. You'll need to figure out a way to fund your lab work, whether this is via grant or your PI having money to cover you. I did this for a year. My clinical income was all I got paid. My PI covered the costs of my work, but no salary. It was fine, but I didn't have enough research time to really make it work so after a year I went full clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of places will be willing to give you an "instructor" level position to work part time clinically and part time in the lab. You'll need to figure out a way to fund your lab work, whether this is via grant or your PI having money to cover you. I did this for a year. My clinical income was all I got paid. My PI covered the costs of my work, but no salary. It was fine, but I didn't have enough research time to really make it work so after a year I went full clinical.
Thanks so much for the response. Aside from the financial consequences (I know that's a big part of the calculus for most people), do you think it's feasible to hop around high impact labs every two years or so, until you land a good mentor/circumstance and can successfully push for K grant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the response. Aside from the financial consequences (I know that's a big part of the calculus for most people), do you think it's feasible to hop around high impact labs every two years or so, until you land a good mentor/circumstance and can successfully push for K grant?
This is literally the worst career development plan I’ve ever heard.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
God bless fellows like you who are willing to take academic/research positions

God bless fellows like you who are willing to take academic/research positions
Lol, I know I'm a stubborn idiot, but those are traits that you need to succeed in academics right? I'm more wandering why hopping around every 2 years is a bad idea. Don't post-docs do that until they get the break they need or until they go into industry?

as far as I heard, mid size university program can offer you position as long as you have some good/decent clinic research paper/manuscript if your lab research does not pan out

as far as I heard, mid size university program can offer you position as long as you have some good/decent clinic research paper/manuscript if your lab research does not pan out
I meant AP/faculty position, but you research time is no more than 2 days, and mostly clinic, and research is mostly clinical research

With all due respect if you can’t get any sort of funding as you transition to being an attending, being a primarily research physician probably isn’t the cards. No one is going to protect 60-80% of your time if you have no independent funding. If you’re going to be competitive for a K it should happen very early in your career. There’s a reason why the attrition rate is so high, even for people who get YIAs and K awards.

Very similar. I was a fellow who tried to make an earnest go at academics and spent 36 months of research time in heme/onc fellowship in a pulmonary/allergy lab, had a go at a mouse model, did not get funded beyond institutional grants, and then bravely gave up.

I’m a much happier and better funded clinical attending.

Reactions: 1 users