Research after medical school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jada99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a M4 and I am considering taking time off to do research to boost my resume after medical school. Does anyone know of any funding available or of anyone who did something similar? I am interested in going into GI and I know the field is very competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
jada99 said:
thanks RxnMan but it is my understanding that you have to be in medical school to apply. I want to do the research after I graduate. I do know otherwise?
Yeah, there's NIH and a HHMI programs for taking a year off in med school (cloister, for example), but I thought I saw in those links some programs for folks after graduation.

In general, both of those institutions/websites are great places to start looking for the type of opportunities you're describing. GI, and I might be wrong, is a fellowship that comes after an IM residency, right? I thought there were residency programs that have an optional protected resarch year. That's another thing to consider.

You can also hunt around your academic center for profs doing GI research and ask to do an informal research fellowship with them. I've seen this done before, and a commited fellow can usually get 3-4 journal pubs and a half-dozen posters out in a two-year time.

jada99 said:
I am a M4 and I am considering taking time off to do research to boost my resume after medical school. Does anyone know of any funding available or of anyone who did something similar? I am interested in going into GI and I know the field is very competitive.
It is better to go into medicine and then try and do research after residency. If you go to a residency that also has the fellowship, it doesn't hurt, because you might be able to work with those guys (and girls) during residency.