Research article question--I need a smart ophthalmologist's help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frubeak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a medical student and I'm reading a research article in Ophtho and I do not quite get one of the statements listed. Can someone please explain it to me?? :)

"Despite reductions of astigmatism in all patients, none of the patients had significant changes in the amount of anisometropic hyperopia."

Does this mean that the spherical refraction number remained the same, but the cylinder and axis decreased? Or only the axis? Or only the cylinder?

Many thanks,
frubeak

Members don't see this ad.

It means: despite reductions in the cylinder (astigmatic correction) in all patients, none of the patients had significant changes in the difference between their two eyes with respect to far-sidedness (hyperopia; positive spherical lens).

"Smart ophthalmologist" is kind of redundant, actually. :lol:

Sorry, slow night.

Anisometropic hyperopia means hyperopia that's different between the two eyes. So if one eye is +6 and the other is +2, that's anisometropic hyperopia. If they have some astigmatism, then they will also have cyl. Let's say they have +0.50 of cyl in each eye at 90 degrees, then their Rx would be
right eye +6.00 +0.50 x 090
left eye +2.00 +0.50 x 090

That's hyperopic astigmatism with anisometropia