Research as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FluffyCat1212

Bored med student in the frozen north
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I do have a small question. I have been fortunate enough to receive one DO acceptance at OSU-COM and am currently waitlisted at 2 MD schools. Both of these schools are long shots because one is a highly selective school and the other is where I'm a legacy applicant, so I'm concerned that it's one of those "polite waitlist that will turn into a polite rejection at the end of the cycle" situations.

While my principal desire is to be a clinician, clinical research is something that I'm passionate about incorporating into my future career. Is this option still pretty open to DOs? And would I face any additional hurdles in pursuing academic medicine as a DO?

Searched the threads and couldn't find any thread where this was previously asked, but please let me know if I has been and I just missed it!

Thanks, y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

OSU-COM has some pretty good research opportunities two of the DOs with the most research I have seen came out of there. @AnatomyGrey12 is the person to talk to OSUCOM specific

PM me.

"academic medicine" has a lot of different meanings so it will depend on what you are specifically defining it to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a clinical research fellowship many years ago and went on to be full time academic faculty for several years. Then on to clinical faculty. So yes, it can be done. There are hurdles for DOs that have been discussed on many threads. Try searching SDN for some insight. Gray will be very helpful when you pm him. The residency match game is getting more competetive each year, so make sure you play well. That will help with academic appointments. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
The research group at OSU-COM is awesome. If you got the drive you can go far. I’m not saying everyone can do it but some of the best students are matching Derm. Use that info how you will.

Thank you all so much. These are all very helpful suggestions!

You should check into the NIH MRSP program after your second or third year. They have been taking some DO’s in thr past years. That will give you all the contacts you need for a career in medical research.

You should check into the NIH MRSP program after your second or third year. They have been taking some DO’s in thr past years. That will give you all the contacts you need for a career in medical research.
Thank you so much! This is super helpful!