Research as a third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm starting third year in a couple of months, and I'm currently most interested in EM and Anesthesia. I go to a pretty research-heavy school and have already done a required project but it was kind of a "fluffy" topic and not super medically related. I really had no idea what I was interested in at the time so I didn't seek out the right opportunities. However, I was offered the chance to help out with a project in the ED next year- I'd be working with other students (some second years, so they'd have more time) which would potentially allow me not to get overwhelmed by the time commitment, and the girl who's dropping the project (just graduated) told me that ED people are incredibly understanding of students' schedules and very undemanding of your time. It would also allow me to network a bit with the attendings/residents in the department and get a decent letter of rec if I do choose EM.

On the other hand, I'm obviously wary of doing too much as a third year, especially since EM isn't a field that values research as much as, say, rad/onc so it's not like I have to do something like that. I guess I'm comparing myself to some classmates who are also interested in EM and anesthesia and who have publications under their belt in these fields...

Thoughts? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

I'm starting third year in a couple of months, and I'm currently most interested in EM and Anesthesia. I go to a pretty research-heavy school and have already done a required project but it was kind of a "fluffy" topic and not super medically related. I really had no idea what I was interested in at the time so I didn't seek out the right opportunities. However, I was offered the chance to help out with a project in the ED next year- I'd be working with other students (some second years, so they'd have more time) which would potentially allow me not to get overwhelmed by the time commitment, and the girl who's dropping the project (just graduated) told me that ED people are incredibly understanding of students' schedules and very undemanding of your time. It would also allow me to network a bit with the attendings/residents in the department and get a decent letter of rec if I do choose EM.

On the other hand, I'm obviously wary of doing too much as a third year, especially since EM isn't a field that values research as much as, say, rad/onc so it's not like I have to do something like that. I guess I'm comparing myself to some classmates who are also interested in EM and anesthesia and who have publications under their belt in these fields...

Thoughts? Advice?

Well. I think almost all program directors in almost every specialty understand that 3rd year is really busy, and I think doing something looks good no matter what you eventually apply to. It's also easily explained, "Yes, early on I was interested in EM, but ultimately I've come to like rad onc (or gas or whatever) because of x, y, z . . ." It's the academic curiosity and follow through that are shown. It's really only the MD/PhD guys who are publishing first author papers in medical school. You'll want a latter from a research mentor anyway, and the EM guys sound perfect.

Just remember don't take on anything you can't finish. Follow through is very important, and if you run into time problems getting done what is asked communicate - early. I hooked up a third year student with a project I was working on - guaranteed name on multiple abstracts at international meetings +/- name on paper(s), depending on how much extra work she wanted to put into. I was expecting her assigned chart reviews to be done when my research month rolled around so I could bundle it all together run through the stats and write a couple draft manuscripts, but what happened instead was that I had to spend most of my precious research month collecting her assigned data - she had 7 months, which the other medical student I brought on board the project was able to get done. I like to try and pay it forward like this and help folks out play the game, but I had to tell my research mentor, "No dice for name on abstracts, publications, or research letter." She's a sweet kid and meant well, and I wish her the best, but don't say you'll do something and then don't. Some of you use this research stuff as a game to get the spot you want, there are those of us who want to make a career of this and go out on a limb to help, and when you don't follow through it kind of screws us.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely possible. I've continued 20-30 hours/wk of research through m3, I've presented at 5 conferences this year and published 3 papers. It's harder than doing so in m1/2 and requires good time management but is possible. The hardest part is setting up meetings with your lab staff bc you're busy on clinical responsibilities most of the times they're around.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also hoping to get research as well during the third year (though I imagine it's going to be helluva harder during Surgery...) and hopefully get some pubs/abstracts going.

It's definitely possible. I've continued 20-30 hours/wk of research through m3, I've presented at 5 conferences this year and published 3 papers. It's harder than doing so in m1/2 and requires good time management but is possible. The hardest part is setting up meetings with your lab staff bc you're busy on clinical responsibilities most of the times they're around.
Good lord...did you spend that many hours doing research in M1/2 as well? I didn't even know you could do research first year...

Anyway, props for the hard work.

This is SDN, where everyone scores a 270 and honors everything. Congrats!

Good lord...did you spend that many hours doing research in M1/2 as well? I didn't even know you could do research first year...

Anyway, props for the hard work.

yeah I started with the lab before med school started. Yes, I spent as much or more time during m1/m2. I have a F31 as well as two big private grants so I need to spend a lot of time finishing things up.