Research assistant during scribe gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebeachisthebest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some gap year advice!

I just graduated in May and am currently applying to M.D. schools. I'm working full-time as an ED scribe (which has been awesome so far) while I spend this year applying.

I was just offered the opportunity to get involved with an ED physician's new research project. He would like to meet with me "to get started" in the next few days. He hasn't made clear how many hours per week the commitment would be, but he has clarified that I would be paid and I would be the only pre-med research assistant on this project. (There will be medical students and residents as well.)

Should I meet with him about this position? It seems that by going to the meeting, I am agreeing to be involved and I'm not sure this is something I want to commit to during what I hoped would be a low-stress gap year. I'm also concerned about having another activity, in addition to my full time job, may make it difficult to schedule and attend interviews. I do have clinical research experience in a field I am more interested in pursuing personally (Internal Med), so it is not as if this would add a missing piece to my application. I'm not doing anything else for my application at the moment (volunteering, shadowing, etc.) but I feel I have strong ECs from the last 4 years.

Just wondering what others suggest! I'm somewhat inclined to say no to this, but I feel like I might be making a mistake by passing up such a great opportunity for clinical research. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would absolutely do this and tell the scribe company I need to be part or mid time. Let's 15- 25% of pre-meds become scribes. So, its good experience but not super unique, right? How many pre-meds are the only undergrad students working directly with a physician on a clinically related research endeavor (where your PAID)? Seriously, imo you'd be foolish to pass this opportunity up (unless there are other details/stipulations you're not telling us).