Research Assistant Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PschH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow for an Undergraduate Research opportunity. I believe this study is not currently underway as it has yet to be posted on our University website (I've tried searching the Graduate Student's names, the title and nature of the research without success). As such, I only have a general idea of the study based on the title and through the grad students profiles. I have not been able to find the supervising faculty member. I feel that I'm going into this blindly, so I'm not sure the best way to present myself as a candidate or the questions I should ask.
I have had interview experience in professional settings for a prior career (management level), and intend to conduct myself in a way that is similar (bringing resume that includes relevant coursework and research interest, writing samples). I also know that 3 other candidates are scheduled for this interview (2 in neuroscience, 1 other psychology).
Any input would be appreciated. From the information I have gathered, this research would be ideal. This is my first opportunity for research and as a junior undergrad, a great opportunity to begin developing my capstone, and works with the demographic that I intend to work with in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you can't find much about the study, prepare a lot of good questions that show that you know info about related studies, important variables pertaining to topic of interest, etc.

If no "hard skills" like coding are required, they may be more interested in "soft skills" at this point (and anyway you're already qualified, technically, as they've seen your CV). So demonstrate that you're curious, motivated, and eager (but not TOO eager) for exactly the job being offered. Be the most professional + personable version of yourself. Don't forget to smile and exude "warmth", a person that people wouldn't mind chit chatting with on a daily basis.

Of course, prepare concise answers for "tell me about yourself", "why do you want to be here", and "tell me about a project where you xyz...". Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you can't find much about the study, prepare a lot of good questions that show that you know info about related studies, important variables pertaining to topic of interest, etc.

If no "hard skills" like coding are required, they may be more interested in "soft skills" at this point (and anyway you're already qualified, technically, as they've seen your CV). So demonstrate that you're curious, motivated, and eager (but not TOO eager) for exactly the job being offered. Be the most professional + personable version of yourself. Don't forget to smile and exude "warmth", a person that people wouldn't mind chit chatting with on a daily basis.

Of course, prepare concise answers for "tell me about yourself", "why do you want to be here", and "tell me about a project where you xyz...". Good luck!
Thank you so much for your insight. The interview only furthered my interest in these research studies and seemed to go well. I was with them about 30 minutes and was able to get a lot of information from them and it aligns well with my own research interest very well. It also allows for some independent research with them. Though it's two separate disertations, they will be sharing the RA since their research is about similar aspects but with differences in approach.

Sounds like it would be a good next step for you. Best of luck!