Research Assistant Postings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychnic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I would start a thread in case anyone knew of any open research assistant positions....and I'll start out by announcing the best one (where I work, obvi!) :) Please feel free to PM me if you are interested and have additional questions....

The Psychosocial Research Program at Butler Hospital is looking to hire 2-3 full-time research assistants to work on projects relating to MDD, BPAD, sub abuse/dep., and suicide. Many of our projects focus on developing new psychosocial treatments or combined treatments for these problems. Butler Hospital is affiliated with Brown University and is located in Providence, RI. For more information about specific projects, please refer to: http://research.brown.edu/research/search.php.

Please send a resume and cover letter to Nomanda Nongauza:
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much!

If anyone knows of anything in the OH, KY, IN area please post! I have had a hard time finding anything in this area, and I have noticed that alot of positions aren't posted, you have to know someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard really wonderful things about Butler/Brown RA positions. RAs there are trained on a number of clinical interviews (the SCID I and a number of depression/bipolar specific clinical assessments), which is valuable when applying to grad school. The profs there are typically well-established and very productive. I know the RAs often have multiple acceptances from clinical psych programs at competitive universities.

Providence is also a really nice place to live--lots of 20 somethings, and many fun things going on due to the number of universities in area. Plus, it's only 40 minutes(ish) from Boston.

I definitely recommend applying, if you're interested in securing an RA position with solid training and research opportunities.

Paid RA Position in Neurology at Rhode Island Hospital

Ideal for students considering graduate school in clinical psychology

·Aid in the coordination and management of an NIH sponsored dementia and driving study at Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School, Providence, RI.

·Duties include participant recruitment and scheduling, administration of computerized and neuropsychological tests, management of video equipment and files, video coding, and database management.

·Opportunities to co-author professional presentations and publications.

·One full-time position available to start in June 2009. Two-year commitment desired.

If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Lindsay Miller via email at [email protected]

It seems not many people are posting here, and to be quite honest, I don't think that this thread is going to get many posts. At least from my perspective. Although it might be selfish, I don't see many people posting RA jobs because they probably want the RA jobs themselves if they don't get into graduate school. I will admit at least that that's why I won't be posting. The only thing I can say is, talk to professors, email with whom you can.. and don't give up.

At my undergraduate school, the best contact person was the department secretary. She would get emails from professors in the department about job openings as well as professors from schools all around the country. There weren't a ton of jobs (I think I applied to 3 that way) but it helped. There was one job I applied for but didn't get, but then the professor told me about another job I should apply for at her school.

My professor has advised me to start looking for RA positions, so I'm going to throw myself out there! Does anyone here have any leads for jobs in the area of personality, mindfulness, and/or emotion?

Thanks!

Often the jobs are not advertised - email the POI with a letter regarding your skills and interest, and often some magic can happen (may help if research program is part of a larger center/institution). Emailing a PDF of your letter and your CV may help as well, so that he/she can print them out and pass them around if need be.

That's so crazy you want to study that specific thing because I am currently working on a research project studying how personality predicts change in Positive affect following mindfulness meditation. Unfort.this is through my undergrad where only students work.. but still wow.. when I read that I just about fell out of my chair. But, I am in Boston, so if you're ever around here... who knows?

My professor has advised me to start looking for RA positions, so I'm going to throw myself out there! Does anyone here have any leads for jobs in the area of personality, mindfulness, and/or emotion?

Thanks!

There's a researcher at American U who's studying mindfulness/personality, I think.

Dr. Cheng, yeah. But I doubt they take on paid RAs.

Arya: Awesome. Hopefully we won't be competing against each other in two years or so ;)

We def won't be. I am interested in mood and anxiety disorders... unfortunately my research has NOTHING to do with what I want to do. Lame.

Arya: Awesome. Hopefully we won't be competing against each other in two years or so ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know, it's possible. My research assistant position at Hopkins started off as unpaid, and after I was there a few months and got involved in another study in the department, they offered me a p/t employment spot doing exactly what I was doing. At my clinical/research internship at a non-profit psych. rehab. clinic, I started off as unpaid as well, and after 6 months I was getting paid for my time. So, I don't think it's necessarily out of the question, you might have to be unpaid at first but if you're good at what you do, it's possible! Happened to me twice.

We def won't be. I am interested in mood and anxiety disorders... unfortunately my research has NOTHING to do with what I want to do. Lame.

Aww, sorry to hear! Hopefully you'll get the chance to go into your area of interest more.

Hi all...this is a research coordinator position for my lab at the University of Miami...

We are looking for a new research assistant/coordinator to work full-time with our Child and Adolescent Mood and Anxiety Treatment Program at the University of Miami to start in late August/early September 2009. This is a two-year, research-funded position and ideal for someone with strong interpersonal skills that is looking to gain experience in the conduct of clinical research in child and adolescent anxiety and depression, potentially in preparation for later application to Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs. Responsibilities include assistance with a variety of participant recruitment, data management, grant and publication preparation tasks, co-supervision of undergraduate volunteers, and phone screening of potential research participants and clinical patients. Training in the ADIS-IV-C/P, statistics and research-based treatment protocols is available.

Jill Ehrenreich, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor - Child Division
Department of Psychology
University of Miami
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.psy.miami.edu/camat

I thought Jill Ehrenreich was at BU

Hi all...this is a research coordinator position for my lab at the University of Miami...

We are looking for a new research assistant/coordinator to work full-time with our Child and Adolescent Mood and Anxiety Treatment Program at the University of Miami to start in late August/early September 2009. This is a two-year, research-funded position and ideal for someone with strong interpersonal skills that is looking to gain experience in the conduct of clinical research in child and adolescent anxiety and depression, potentially in preparation for later application to Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs. Responsibilities include assistance with a variety of participant recruitment, data management, grant and publication preparation tasks, co-supervision of undergraduate volunteers, and phone screening of potential research participants and clinical patients. Training in the ADIS-IV-C/P, statistics and research-based treatment protocols is available.

Jill Ehrenreich, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of Miami

The National Center for PTSD was advertising for research assistants (2-year contract obligation) a few months ago. I'm uncertain whether they're still accepting applications but worth a look if you're interested.

For the person who was asking about research positions in your area, I would say the best way to go about this is to research the hospital and university psychology and psychiatry departments and then contact them about research assistant positions. That's how I got a research assistant position for this summer (my school is funding me so that made it really easy through.) You may only get volunteer work but at least that's research experience.

I am not sure if every college does this, but we get many emails a week from the psych department secretary informing us of research assistant positions available. Since they are all for graduating senior, which I am not, I could post them. They are almost always positions in the New England.

So how necessary is it to get an RA position that deals with what you want to eventually study in grad school? Seeing as how hard it is to find RA positions, I'm excited I have an interview, even though it isn't exactly what I wanted to study.

If I do end up getting this job and accepting it, would that harm me when trying to apply for POI's who are studying what I do want to study in the future?

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd direct people to a great post baccalaureate research program at NIH. I did this for 2 years and loved it. If you want to get great experience that is also good for your resume, I'd definitely look into it. The pay is not great, but it's worth it (I applied to 5 doctoral programs and got acceptances at 4).

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program via PM.

http://www.training.nih.gov/student/pre-irta/previewpostbac.asp

Thanks for the helpful options guys! Does anyone know of any RA positions currently available in the NJ/NY/PA area?

Jill Ehrenreich, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of Miami
Hi I'm an IMG and will be relocating to miami becuase my husband matched there. I am very interested in searching for a job as research assistant. Do you know of any vacancies there? I would truly appreciate any information. Thank you

Hi,

I work in the New York City area, and there may be a position opening up (working with depression and PTSD participants). Pharmaceutical experience and phlebotomy skills are strongly preferred. Let me know if you fit the bill (by PM, of course).

Thanks.

Hi,

I work in the New York City area, and there may be a position opening up (working with depression and PTSD participants). Pharmaceutical experience and phlebotomy skills are strongly preferred. Let me know if you fit the bill (by PM, of course).

Thanks.

hi myrnanyc

im a foreign medical grad..i have research experience and excellent phlebotomy skills but no formal pharmaceutical experience .. any possibilities to join ure research

Does anyone have any opportunities to post for this coming year? Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Anything in the Chicago area? I've been finding a LOT of medical, but no psych in my area. However, I thought I'd share this one for people in cognitive:

http://ccm.psych.uic.edu/Job/RA.aspx

We hire new full-time Research Assistant(s) at the Center for Cognitive Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago on an ongoing basis. The Center is a large interdisciplinary program with investigators working in the areas of autism, schizophrenia, women's health, ADHD, pediatric bipolar disorder, pediatric neurology, and traumatic brain injury. All of the projects involve work with clinical populations, including project coordination, clinical assessments and neuropsychological evaluations. Many investigators use fMRI to learn about causes of cognitive deficits, and most conduct treatment protocols. Some studies involve family genetic and pharmacogenetic research. These positions provide an ideal way to gain experience in clinical psychology in a hospital setting for those interested in pursuing a graduate degree in psychology or medicine.

Hello! I will be leaving my current position as a research assistant in the Office of Assessment & Evaluation Studies at Virginia Commonwealth University's School of Medicine this July after being accepted to a Clinical Psychology PhD program, and we are now looking to fill my position. It played a big part in me getting several interviews and acceptances to PhD programs, and may be of interest to anyone looking for more research experience, particularly if you are interested in health psychology or evaluation studies (but not necessarily - I'm not!). View the posting at the link below (position number 501330 if it doesn't come up) or PM me with questions.

https://www.vcujobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1304433701023

** this position has been filled. **

Last edited:
Hi. I actually applied to this program, but I have had the hardest time finding labs to work in. How did you get into a lab and go about contacting a mentor?

-MajorlyPsych

Volunteer Research Assistant Position at Harvard for individuals interested in clinical psychology or neuroscience... Great lab! :)

Job Description
The Social Neuroscience and Psychopathology Lab at Harvard University (http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~chooker/index.html) is seeking 2-3 volunteer (unpaid) clinical research assistants for a one-year full-time commitment. Each research assistant will be responsible for assisting with study coordination including, but not limited to, working directly with patients, collecting behavioral and neuroimaging data, scheduling and coordinating appointments, assisting in both structural and functional MRI scans of patient populations, data entry, and preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and/or grants. She may be require to work on multiple studies.
Each research assistant will collaborate with the head PI and the graduate students running these studies. Successful candidates will be expected to be able to take initiative and work well both independently and on a team. Many of our projects are time-sensitive, so the ability to prioritize tasks is a critical skill.

Study populations that the research assistant may be working with include: schizophrenia, clinical and genetic high risk for schizophrenia spectrum disorders, adults, adolescents, and children.

These positions offer valuable research experience in preparation for graduate school in clinical psychology or related fields. Research assistants in this lab will get unique experience in cutting-edge scientific techniques in neuroimaging as well as the opportunity to work on building the latest conceptualizations of schizophrenia spectrum-disorders and individuals at risk for them.

Qualifications
Bachelors degree
Background in psychology or neuroscience preferable
Attention to detail
Strong organizational skills
Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals

Please contact Sarah Hope Lincoln at [email protected] to apply.