Research based schools vs. Clinical based schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allie1361

PGY 4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any kind of list (or if anyone knew) which schools were more research based and which were more clinical based. My advisor told me to look into that because it would help me decide where I wanted to apply. I'm looking at more clinical based schools, but I can't figure out an easy way to tell which schools focus on which. I've looked at the rankings on US News World Reports rankings and it gave me a pretty general idea, but is there anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know what you're asking. Your education at any medical school in the United States will be clinically oriented. If you want to do research, then going to a top tier research school may POSSIBLY give you more opportunities. I wouldn't worry about schools being clinically focused. You're going to get all the clinical focus you have ever dreamed about in med school. Just focus on finding schools with stats in your range in locations you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
All medschools will have both clinical and research areas- however in residencies the distinction grows and you can get into different focuses.

For right now, there aren't really 'non-research' schools and 'research' schools, but I suggest you look at some medschools to see if they have the opportunities you want (lots of research funding, large amounts of clinic hours, whatever)

All medschools will have both clinical and research areas- however in residencies the distinction grows and you can get into different focuses.

:wtf: Seems to me most residencies are pretty clinically focused... unless you're talking about some of them having a research component.

This is an artificial distinction. Any top research school is likely to have a strong clinical program. The reverse is not true. As such, rankings (and any divide) matter more for people interested in top notch research.

I think this is terrible advice from your advisor.