Research before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

hopefuldentist123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was accepted into the NIDA summer internship program (site located in CA) and I also got accepted as a summer CRTA at the NIH (specifically in the cancer institute).
I'm a rising D1 and was hoping to do 8 weeks of research somewhere, get more research experience, and build some savings before the fall.
I can't decide b/w which one! The cancer institute I would be able to live at home while for the NIDA I'd have the chance to spend a summer in CA (I love CA and was planning to visit this summer anyway). With the NIDA, I am provided for housing and a 3800k stipend, but as a CRTA I'd make around 4800k (plus likely around $600 or so from petsitting). I think both labs are well-established and are doing great research, but I think the one at the cancer institute would set me up better for dental research later on rather than the research on drug abuse, but I'm honestly not sure. Price is a big factor, and I think I may have to lease a car in CA (?)

Any suggestions as to go with the NIDA program or work as a CRTA (cancer research training assistant) with the NIH? Anyone done either program or have any advice as to which may be a better choice? I have two days to decide...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What kind of topic would you be working on at the NIDA? Something like decay among drug users, or nicotine gum treatment for smokers? Research on the nervous system? Do you have a strong idea of what you'll be working on?

What kind of topic would you be working on at the NIDA? Something like decay among drug users, or nicotine gum treatment for smokers? Research on the nervous system? Do you have a strong idea of what you'll be working on?
It would be looking at the relationship between specific ligands and their associated receptors and how their interactions influence cognitive fxn during aging

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly though while Cali's internship seems more tempting, NIH's is more valuable and also something you personally would enjoy more. Plus this would open gates of further opportunities for you in the world of dental research in future.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly though while Cali's internship seems more tempting, NIH's is more valuable and also something you personally would enjoy more. Plus this would open gates of further opportunities for you in the world of dental research in future.
It would be looking at the relationship between specific ligands and their associated receptors and how their interactions influence cognitive fxn during aging
I'm sure you could still get some great research experience out of the NIDA opportunity, but I think a summer of cancer research (what kind?) would have more applications, particularly if you're interested in dental academia or OMFS.