Research before med school on residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took a year off between undergrad and med school, and did a solid year of neuroscience research. I should be on at least one paper by the time my PI gets around to it (he's slow). I didn't really enjoy the experience, and I have no interest in doing more research during medical school. Can I still put this research experience on my residency app though? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should go ahead and list it. you did the research, and regardless of when you did it, it was you who did. I think research should be looked upon, not as a tool to get into the next step, but as a tool to enhance the body of existing knowledge. I dont see why not :)

ok cool. i would hate to think it was all for nothing, although it was a good experience. and i really want to just focus on school and organizations in med school, not trying to squeeze some research in. so it's possible to list things on the app that weren't actually done during school?