Research Commitment for Competitive Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catahecassa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising M2 at a top 50 US MD school who, after shadowing over the summer, became interested in orthopedics. I'm looking to get involved in clinical research at my institution. I emailed my home department, and they asked how many hours I would be willing to dedicate to research each week. I replied that I could give 30 mins a day or roughly 3 hours per week during the school year, and more next summer after step 1. They replied that there are many ongoing projects, but they cannot put me on a project with such limited hours. I realize that research is important for ortho, so I know that I need to find something. I cannot give more time with step one coming up, so I'm kind of at a loss. Those who are interested in competitive surgical subspecialties, how many hours per week are you dedicating to research?

Members don't see this ad.

Manage your time so you can do more. 3 hours is nothing, and you have a year until step. These are the sacrifices you have to make for competitive specialties. You'll be able to swing it, you already go through M1 :)

Reactions: 4 users
6 hours. That is my friday night activity. Podcasts and spreadsheets.

I am trying to finish 1-2 projects by winter so that I can focus for STEP.

Ask your department contact about a short term project that you could knock out in a few months with a higher weekly work rate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a rising M2 at a top 50 US MD school who, after shadowing over the summer, became interested in orthopedics. I'm looking to get involved in clinical research at my institution. I emailed my home department, and they asked how many hours I would be willing to dedicate to research each week. I replied that I could give 30 mins a day or roughly 3 hours per week during the school year, and more next summer after step 1. They replied that there are many ongoing projects, but they cannot put me on a project with such limited hours. I realize that research is important for ortho, so I know that I need to find something. I cannot give more time with step one coming up, so I'm kind of at a loss. Those who are interested in competitive surgical subspecialties, how many hours per week are you dedicating to research?

If you’re a rising M2 then Step One is not “coming up.” It’s like 10-12 months away. One of my regrets during med schoolnwas not dedicating more time to ortho research sooner. And you can definitely average more than 30 minutes per day on research if you plan your days appropriately.

This is important if you’re going to do ortho. Research is all but a requirement and the better quality the better. It will also help with connections and when it comes time to ask for letters.

Reactions: 2 users
Just remember, for every student like you that can "only give 30 minutes a day with Step coming up" there is someone else that is out there putting out 3+ papers this year and will still get a 250+.

The real answer is you need to do both.

Reactions: 4 users
Just remember, for every student like you that can "only give 30 minutes a day with Step coming up" there is someone else that is out there putting out 3+ papers this year and will still get a 250+.

The real answer is you need to do both.

I second this motion.

I would definitely get involved in some research but dont make it a specific time commitment. Talk with the attending and take a look at the project. See what the project entails and what you need to do.

In the end, Step >>>>> research. You can also get great research during third year.