1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Research Dental schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by waitingame, May 16, 2008.

1. waitingame

Pre-Dental
    Hey I was just wondering what some common research dental schools are because I have not done any while in undergrad and dont want to waste my time applying some where that research is a high priority. Also I am from Ohio and have a 3.5 gpa taking the dat soon. Is there any others you would recommend?
    Right now I am applying to:

Marquette University (MQT)

New York University (NYU)

Nova Southeastern University (NSU)

The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)

The Ohio State University (OSU)

Tufts University (TUF)

University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)

University of Kentucky (UK)

University of Louisville (UL)

University of Maryland (MYD)

University of Michigan (MICH) \

University of Minnesota (MIN)

University of Pittsburgh (PITT)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. waitingame

Pre-Dental
    Also what is the deal with McHarry and having such a low gpa. I have heard that they preference underprivileged but what are the chances of a white person that is not underprivileged getting in?

4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Non-Student
    I'm of the opinion that there's not really such a thing as a "research" school. I don't really think there's any dental school out there that's going to require you to spend a significant amount of time on dental research, save maybe Harvard which I believe has an actual requirement.

5. huk1985

Dental Student
    "Meharry" not Mcharry strongly prefers the minorities and if you are not a minority you have to have strong stats to get in (like you have higher chance of getting into other dental schools than Meharry)

6. MrLebowski

Pre-Dental
    Any school that "prefers" certain ethnic backgrounds is not worth $60.

7. blankguy

Dental Student
    Research is not going to be a priority for predoctoral people. It may be for postdoctoral(residency) depending on the program. Just apply to whichever school you prefer. The research part is up to you. If you don't want to get involved in it that's okay. In fact the vast majority of people regardless of school(except possibly Harvard) don't bother with research. Think about it us predoctoral people are just learning the fundamentals, research is new knowledge generation we really are not in a position to add to new knowledge in a significant way.